#152114  by Iano
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:27 pm
Im having problems with he starter on Mitsubishi Bus , after traveling a distance it won't start , then after leaving it a bit its starts . Other times it won't start and then bang it goes again. Just wondered were in Tauranga was best to take it to have it tested at a reasonable price. I spoke to my local mechanic at Whakamarama but he said he would take starter motor off and take it in for testing but the motor home would have to be left outside for days. I don't want it left out in public for days with no fencing.
 #152120  by Mark
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:36 pm
When you say "it won't start": what do you mean, exactly?
Does the starter motor operate, but the pinion doesn't engage with the crown wheel to turn the diesel motor (it just whines) - or what?

If this is the situation, then some on here have said, in the past, that there may be insufficient voltage getting to the starter.

I had this problem on a Rosa. Paid to have the starter "rebuilt" (whatever that means) but that lasted only a few months (when the bus wasn't really used!) and I ended up getting a Chinese starter motor installed.

Problem solved.

Any competent diesel mechanic could do the job.
 #152121  by BUSRSQ
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:57 pm
any diesel workshop can undertake the testing, BUT at a wild educated guess, your starter is on its way out, in my experience getting them rebuilt usually does not last very long ( a rebuild usually entails putting in new bearing, brushes, regreasing the reduction drive and either replacing the solenoid or replacing the contacts in it) 9 times out of 10 these things are not the issue and it is an issue in either the windings on the motor or the contact pads, both of these issues are expensive to fix.
Also have the Batteries checked and the cables as these can be problematic especially the screw contacts above the batteries
 #152122  by beanpole
 Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm
The first things I would be looking at are all the heavy wiring connection between the battery and starter. Take each off, clean and make sure there is good contact. The problem could be as simple as that.

Are you capable of taking the starter out? I am not familiar with the model but they are usually relatively easy to get at.
The starter may be the original (24 yrs) but unlikely. Could be dirty or worn brushes.

If you have a situation of no start, can you give the starter a firm (not hard) knock with a hammer. This often will shake up the insides and will work for a time after. This indicates that it needs "servicing/replacing)" sooner rather than later
Gordon
Pay with Paymate Express