Products and equipment BBQ's, recreational toys etc
 #94965  by Zukiwi
 Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 pm
BUSRSQ wrote:No use asking the fire service :) ours are serviced by Chubb and replaced when necessary, have no idea what happens to the old ones
Zukiwi wrote:As a motorhomer trying to be environmentally responsible, I think I'd be quite keen to know what happens to the "dead" extinguishers.
BUSRSQ wrote:Nothing really to do with me, its a fire service thing
Now that's really confusing. You're saying on the one hand that your "dead" extinguishers are disposed of by Chubb. Then you appear to be saying that it's the Fire Service's problem. Could it be a your and my problem - the community?

Cheers
John
 #94968  by shuttleman47
 Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:34 am
try having a chat to the local fire service. Some of them are willing to organise a short training session using your time expired extinguisher if there are a few to discharge. then use local hazmobile to dispose.
 #94970  by BUSRSQ
 Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:29 am
Zukiwi wrote:
BUSRSQ wrote:No use asking the fire service :) ours are serviced by Chubb and replaced when necessary, have no idea what happens to the old ones
Zukiwi wrote:As a motorhomer trying to be environmentally responsible, I think I'd be quite keen to know what happens to the "dead" extinguishers.
BUSRSQ wrote:Nothing really to do with me, its a fire service thing
Now that's really confusing. You're saying on the one hand that your "dead" extinguishers are disposed of by Chubb. Then you appear to be saying that it's the Fire Service's problem. Could it be a your and my problem - the community?

Cheers
John
Whats confusing ?
When we use a fire extinguisher in the fire service, it is replaced by chubb, I am sure that they dispose of them in a responsible manner
 #95014  by Alec
 Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:53 am
[quote]Zukiwi wrote:
As a motorhomer trying to be environmentally responsible, I think I'd be quite keen to know what happens to the "dead" extinguishers.[quote]

Why the concern with a "dead" extinguisher, it is only a steel cylinder that contained a powder under pressure, if maintained correctly, it will have no powder left in it when the pressure expires, so no reason why it can not go straight to the scrap metal yard.

I have just cut the top off one and modified it to become a water pressure cylinder, awaiting fitment into the motorhomes water system
 #110223  by nisseven
 Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:25 pm
If you are into home brewing or need CO2 for welding they make good small CO2 cylinders. I have two, there is a testing place here in Chch and they will fit the correct valve and test them.
Bruce
Pay with Paymate Express