Products and equipment BBQ's, recreational toys etc
 #151709  by kenchand
 Sun May 26, 2019 4:02 pm
Hi there,

I have a Swift Bessacar with a Thule G2 bike carrier on the back. I have now bought a pair of Smart Motion e-bikes and I am struggling to lift the bikes up onto the carrier. Friends tell me I am vertically challenged.

I have looked at alternative carriers to lower the rack the bikes sit on but all too óver the top' pricewise. ie: towball mount rack, I dont have a towbar, or front mount on the tow hook.

Has anyone lowered the folding bike rack on of the Thule down by 25-30cm. I can lift the bikes up easily to this height, but that extra height is beyond me. I don't mind if the rack does not fold up when not carrying bikes as most trips I take the bikes..

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
 #151711  by Paul
 Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 pm
Hi May be a portable loading ramp on one end of the mounting rail to push bikes up rather than lifting them?
 #151713  by kenchand
 Sun May 26, 2019 10:29 pm
Hi Paul,

I've thought of that but the height of the bike rack is too steep and the angle of the ramp would be almost 3 meter long, not practical to store. The ramp would also be very heavy to take the weight of the bike about 25kg.
I was thinking of adding some straps and lower the height of the carrier.

Thanks

Ken
 #151716  by BUSRSQ
 Mon May 27, 2019 6:55 am
The biggest Issue I can see with lowering it ( and i dont know how low it already is ) would be decreasing an already bad departure angle, no use having your ebikes on the back if you damage them everytime you enter/exit a driveway.
I have two suggestions ( well 3 )
1/ build up your strength so you can lift the bikes ( probably not really do able) or try different ways of lifting them, we move 100's of ebikes per year and have tried different ways to get them onto the trailers, a way that works for me does not work for my other drivers.
2/ Airbag the rear axle of the Van, so you can drop the rear end when needed ( expensive but has other plus' )
3/ install a small electric winch above the rack to "help" lift them, could work out expensive as you would need to strengthen where it mounts ( may not take 2 much)
 #151719  by myles
 Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 am
2 or 3 step folding stepladder?

Thule have extension rails and a 'winch', not sure if they can simply be added, but they would be expensive.

A small stepladder has a lot of uses and costs very little.
 #151723  by Paul
 Mon May 27, 2019 10:53 am
Hi. I have same problem. I find holding bike horizontal and placing wheels in rails before standing bike upright is a easier way.
Pay with Paymate Express