Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #122597  by Carren
 Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:28 am
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has a Coachman Amara 530/4 by any remote chance? I recently bought a 2004 model which I am living in permanently (in a holiday park currently). It has a fixed double bed with the corner cut off. The mattress would appear to be the original - it is kind of split and joined so it can fold up when the side of the bed frame is lifted to access storage space underneath. As a consequence of this mattress design the middle of the mattress is really uncomfortable to sleep on. Probably not a problem with two people in the bed (as they would tend to stick to each side of the bed) but I'm on my own so want to be able to make the most of the space and sleep in the middle. I'm using a wool fleece mattress cover/underlay which is helping a little but I seriously need a better solution. I feel like I'm sleeping in a hollow all night and it's wrecking havoc with my back.

Anyway, does anybody have one of these beds/mattresses, do you have the same problem and if so, have you any helpful ideas or suggestions?

These beds are also a major pain to find bedding for/to make. So if anyone has come up with a bright idea for themselves, please share!

#122598  by mattn
 Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:55 am
We had a similar issue with our original van which had fold out double bed. A solution we found worked pretty well was a cheap foam topper pad.
 #122606  by Andycap
 Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:57 pm
Hi Carren ,just googled your caravan and saw a pic of the crease down the bed ,not quite centred .however if all else fails on a quick fix is it possible to construct a new one piece mattress base with ply ,hinged the wall side ,then lifted with the aid of gas struts.May need a new one piece mattress but these can easily be made to any size ,shape you need .We had ours made specially at Brownies mattress services in CHch . 2 things you gotta have in life ,comfortable boots and a comfortable bed .Andy .
 #122635  by Carren
 Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:24 pm
Hi Andy

In actual fact I really don't even need to be able to access the space under the bed. It's not the most useful space anyway as the hot water heater is under there, along with various electrical and heat ducting bits and pieces. The space is also accessible from the outside so if I absolutely needed to store anything there I could do so from outside the van.

So at the moment I'm thinking along the same lines as you - given that I'm living in the caravan permanently, I'm thinking it would be money well spent to get a custom made innerspring mattress (with no seam) with either a memory foam or wool "pillow top" for added comfort. I'm in the Timaru area so will see if there are any bedding/mattress places locally that could do this. If not Christchurch would be an option. Would just have to make sure that I could then get it into the bed space to lie it on the bed as it obviously won't be as flexible as the current one.

Then the next problem I need to solve is finding an easier and more practical bedding solution. Making the bed with regular double mattress protectors and sheets is a major pain in the butt. Not a major if you're just holidaying but when you have to do it every day it's a crazy making, back breaking exercise. I'm surprised you can't hear me cursing from here ;)
Last edited by Zukiwi on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Deletion of quote of immediate prior post
 #122964  by UBIQUE
 Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:17 pm
Hi Carren,

I had the same problem and found that a length of 4x2 between the wall and the mattress helped stop the spread in the middle. It is not the ideal solution, but at least it stopped the draft where a draft should not be. I keep meaning to call into Brownies mattress service when a visit to ChCh is unavoidable, but......always forget!

Ubique.
 #122967  by Carren
 Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:47 pm
Do you mean the wall beside the bed or the wall at the head of the bed? now that you say that I'm wondering if placing a board under the mattress right below the seam, might actually help lift that dip?
Last edited by Zukiwi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Deletion of quote of immediate prior post.
 #122976  by Andycap
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 am
Hi Carren ,going by your last post ,so isn`t there any support under this join in the mattress ,and how much support is there under the mattress as a whole ,Any way you could prop the mattress up or remove it completely to give us a pic of the underneath framework .Overall support of your mattress (or at least lots of slats (ie slat bed base) is a must .Where are you based ? Andy
 #122987  by Carren
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 am
Andycap wrote:Hi Carren ,going by your last post ,so isn`t there any support under this join in the mattress ,and how much support is there under the mattress as a whole ,Any way you could prop the mattress up or remove it completely to give us a pic of the underneath framework .Overall support of your mattress (or at least lots of slats (ie slat bed base) is a must .Where are you based ? Andy
The base is a slat base which is actually pretty solid/stable. Most of the weight is supported by the wooden frame the slats are on but there are also a couple of "legs" from the base to the floor. These are flimsy looking tubular (will have to have a better look to see what they are made of but guessing aluminium). Will try to take a photo.

I'm in South Canterbury - Timaru region.
Pay with Paymate Express