Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #122992  by UBIQUE
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:39 am
Hi Carren,
Carren wrote:Do you mean the wall beside the bed or the wall at the head of the bed? now that you say that I'm wondering if placing a board under the mattress right below the seam, might actually help lift that dip?
I mean the wall beside. Mine is a wooden slat base hinged to the outer wall and lifts if required. I join the mattress with velco strips, place a made to measure skellrup foam covering on top, top that with a fitted foam rubber mattress topping and a fitted sheet. Then gently force a length of 4x2 into the gap between the mattress and the inner wall. This tightens and clamps all into place.

If there is some slack length ways I suggest another smaller 4x2. Worth trying, however I would point out that I don't use my m/h full time and a few nights weeks or a month away from my bed at home is not a great hardship. If you are going full time a full mattress would no doubt be better.

Ubique.
 #122993  by Carren
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:11 am
My last post seems to ha e vanished into thin air.

Took some photos which might make it easier to understand.

First pic shows slat base
Second shows mattress with off centre join (which is creating a hollow in that part of mattress)
Third shows how mattress bends upwards when bed lifted
Last shot shows under bed space with supporting leg
 #122997  by Andycap
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 pm
Hi Carren ,all is now clear .If it were me, I would do away with the flexible (possibly worn out )slats , in there place fix a few stouter cross bearers and on top of this 18mm ply. Then put your existing mattress back on and see how it feels ,but by the look of it on your pic, it looks worn out to me with that awfull dipping crease . Hopefully your budget will stretch to a new made to measure mattress that will give you years of comfortable nights kip .
I rebuilt the `bedroom` in our M/H like this ,we have external lockers for access underneath both sides ,and it`s brilliant .
One point if you get a new mattress made . Make sure you try the same type your going to get made in the shop with a hard slat bed frame underneath and not a flexible one .
Good luck .Andy
 #122999  by Carren
 Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm
Andycap wrote:Hi Carren ,all is now clear .If it were me, I would do away with the flexible (possibly worn out )slats , in there place fix a few stouter cross bearers and on top of this 18mm ply. Then put your existing mattress back on and see how it feels ,but by the look of it on your pic, it looks worn out to me with that awfull dipping crease . Hopefully your budget will stretch to a new made to measure mattress that will give you years of comfortable nights kip .
I rebuilt the `bedroom` in our M/H like this ,we have external lockers for access underneath both sides ,and it`s brilliant .
One point if you get a new mattress made . Make sure you try the same type your going to get made in the shop with a hard slat bed frame underneath and not a flexible one .
Good luck .Andy
Hi Andy

Interestingly, the slats actually look pretty New and are all in good condition. Which is a bit surprising given the age of the caravan, and as you say, the wear of the mattress. At this stage I'm limited by finances so not in a position to make major structural changes to the bed itself. I'm 99% sure that the sagging mattress join is what's making the bed uncomfortable. I think I will explore options for having a custom made innersprung mattress made - although I guess that would be a fair bit heavier than the current one. May have to look at swapping out those two tubular legs under the bed, for something a bit stronger. From what I can see though, the actual wooden bed frame is supporting most of the weight - and it's very solid and stable. I had to stand on the bed the other day to check the skylight, and it held my weight with no trouble.

Having said all that, I need to focus on finding a new job first. Need to boost the coffers before I can go ahead with this.
 #138893  by Zukiwi
 Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 pm
Not that I can see ;) ;)

Cheers
John
 #138895  by Carren
 Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 pm
Ha ha h ... you’ll think I’m nuts now, but there were two long posts in Russian there when I posted that. An admin must have seen them and deleted them. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it ;)
 #139627  by Zukiwi
 Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 pm
Yeppp, fair enough. I deleted a few about that time, thus the winks ;)

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express