Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #141949  by ahobern
 Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:03 am
we dont get any bags from the shopping we do as we have reusable bags for shopping, for rubbish we have been using random bags from bread and other foods wrapped in plastic.
anyone have any ideas regarding using something more reusable to hold typical living waste from cooking and eating ?
 #141956  by NeilV
 Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm
I’d say a resealable ‘Tupperware’ type container (or 2L ice cream tub) which you could rinse/wash out and reuse for ages, unless you spill hot oil or fat in it.

We use tin cans from tinned food for ‘hot’ waste like fat and oil, so it doesn’t spoil our tub :TU
 #141966  by petercw
 Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm
After shopping Jeni goes thru it and removes everything she can from their containers and puts the waste back in the supermarket rubbish bin, we then use Tupperware etc in the fridge..
 #141992  by Derb
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 am
We find our "high-temperature Furnace" (that would be the Kent Space-Heater) does the biz for us during winter. As a result of the worm-farm and the fire, our rubbish-bin is seriously light during the winter. :D
 #141997  by NeilV
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 pm
Derb wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 am
We find our "high-temperature Furnace" (that would be the Kent Space-Heater) does the biz for us during winter. As a result of the worm-farm and the fire, our rubbish-bin is seriously light during the winter. :D
Worm farm onboard??? :shock:
Are you the “Loop Crew”?
 #142017  by Derb
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:36 pm
Didnt realize Ahobern was "on the road". :oops:
 #143040  by MiriamNZ
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:02 pm
I separate smelly waste from other waste.
I have cereal containers for compostables. This sits on the shelf under my sink, and I can lift the little cereal-exit lid to drop in apple cores or teabags. Otherwise I lift he container out to the sink and take the lid off to add stuff. Its not too heavy. I have 3 of these; mainly I just use one, but if I can't empty it I start on the second. The third has yet to get an outing.
If I can dispose of this into a compost bin I do, otherwise I tip it into the regular rubbish.
My coffee grinds keep the compost sweet.
It takes me 7-10 days to fill a container.

Things like meat scraps and oil I put into my old coffee bags, triple fold the top and staple shut, then I place them in with my other rubbish. I am planning on using doggy poo bags, which I can drop in to the litter bins without feeling guilty. Sometimes I put meat scraps into the freezer and include them when I empty my rubbish. My freezer is very small, so don't do that very much.

Recycling gets held apart, in a string bag.

For regular rubbish, I reduce size. Those silly plastic containers get cut into 4 so they can nest together, non recycling paper goes in flat, not screwed up. Fish and chip papers go into litter bins, not my bin. It takes me about a month to half fill a supermarket bag.

I use a plastic bin that takes a supermarket bag, but half this bin is my string bag for recycling and the front half holds the supermarket bag for the rubbish.

Since the rubbish is all easy and uncomplicated, I am thinking when I run out of supermarket bags I could make a folded newspaper bag-thing in place of the supermarket bag. Haven't tried this yet. Watch youtube videos about it every now and again. I guess the rubbish could just float to the bottom of my bin and get tipped into the skip, or taken out by the handful and put in the rubbish bin.

I try to avoid packaging. Buy from Binn Inn when I can. Emptying things out of packaging and leaving the packages in the supermarket rubbish bins seems like a good plan to me.
Pay with Paymate Express