Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #147110  by Carren
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:30 pm
I live full time in my caravan in a holiday park, and have been for two years. During the first year here I had to move to a different site over Easter and Christmas holidays, but this year I’ve been able to stay put. As a consequence of the caravan not having moved for 12 months, one of the tyres has bulged at the bottom. I am aware that this is not unusual when parked up and not moved for long periods, and I realise it is not ideal, but I have a full length awning and can’t tow the caravan with my car so moving it regularly is a bit difficult.

I realise that if and when I ever need to move from this camp I will need to buy new tyres to get a warrant. That’s not a problem when the time comes but I definitely don’t want to have to do that now as it would just be a waste of money given the caravan isn’t travelling anywhere. So, here are my questions:

1. The tyre doesn’t seem flat - just bulged at the bottom, but if I did try to put some air in it, would it hold the air or is the tyre likely to burst? Might be a really stupid question but I’m not sure how much actual damage the bulging behaviour causes.

2. How easy is it to jack a loaded caravan up? I wondered if I could get someone to do that, so we could manually rotate the wheels every few months. Again, might be the most ridiculous idea ever, but this is stuff I don’t know and I have no knowledgeable man (or woman!) to ask, as I live on my own.

Suggestions or advice please.
 #147111  by Andycap
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:44 pm
Hi Carren , You are correct in saying that it would be best to jack the caravan up and rotate the wheel ,however it would be beneficial long term if the caravan was just jacked up a bit ,and then put on 4 axle stands with the tyres just clear of the ground . I did this when i had a static older holiday caravan on a permanent beach side site for a few years too . Axle stands are not too expensive ,you would only want a basic 2 ton load size which would be plenty. Place these on a dug in stout piece of board . look in super cheap/repco`s . Wouldn`t the camp owner ,maintanance guy do this for you. Hope this helps .Andy .
 #147116  by mattn
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 pm
Normal advise is jack the van so the tires are not carrying weight, but its probably too late now to save the tires after a long time stationary. My guess is they are bulging because they have lost air pressure. Pumping them up will fix the bulge - a bicycle track pump does the job quick enough, or you can get cheap battery operated pumps.

Axle stands are an option, but blocks of wood work well enough and you may have access to a pile for nothing. This has the advantage of taking the weight off the suspension as well as the tires, and the caravan will move around a lot less when you are inside it.

Jacking a loaded van is easy and as long as all the normal precautions are taken, safe. A decent floor jack is ideal, but a bottle or scissor jack works - try to get one that is rated at least the weight of the caravan. The awning may get in the way of jacking and may need to be loosened. Make sure you wind the stabilizes up before jacking, they are not designed as jacks, and lifting one side changes the balance and weight distribution can cause them to over load.
 #147118  by Carren
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:01 pm
I have wondered about this as an option. Thanks for the suggestion. I might look into this after the Christmas/New Year madness is over.
Andycap wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:44 pm
Hi Carren , You are correct in saying that it would be best to jack the caravan up and rotate the wheel ,however it would be beneficial long term if the caravan was just jacked up a bit ,and then put on 4 axle stands with the tyres just clear of the ground . I did this when i had a static older holiday caravan on a permanent beach side site for a few years too . Axle stands are not too expensive ,you would only want a basic 2 ton load size which would be plenty. Place these on a dug in stout piece of board . look in super cheap/repco`s . Wouldn`t the camp owner ,maintanance guy do this for you. Hope this helps .Andy .
 #147119  by Carren
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:05 pm
Thanks for the info, especially regarding jacking. So much to learn!
mattn wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 pm
Normal advise is jack the van so the tires are not carrying weight, but its probably too late now to save the tires after a long time stationary. My guess is they are bulging because they have lost air pressure. Pumping them up will fix the bulge - a bicycle track pump does the job quick enough, or you can get cheap battery operated pumps....
 #147197  by Waymad
 Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:35 pm
I carry two little bottle jacks - Isuzu, mechanical screw - $20 each from a wrecker a few years back - came out of a 4x4 I think. They're under Baby Bailey as we speak, stopping the dreaded bulge. With half an ice-cream container upside down between jack and chassis, to direct rain away from the top of the screw threads.

Need to jack under the chassis at a strong point..and to have a wide base under the jack if not on compacted gravel or something harder. A few short lengths of 150x50 or 200x50 will serve nicely.

I also carry a smaller screw jack for that not-yet-encountered possibility of a flattie out on the road, as it has a smaller retracted height and would fit in OK. And a nice but tall Toyota screw jack because I'm a sucker for nice machinery....

I would not trust a scissor jack - too flimsy especially in a high wind or quake - or a hydraulic, because it will inevitably but quietly sag and put pressure on the steadies.
Pay with Paymate Express