Full-timing, insurance, licensing, medical, pets etc
 #35112  by cyberbirth
 Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:14 pm
Hi. OUr insurance is due for annual renewal and we wondered if any forum members would be willing to share who they have their motorhome Insurance with and what their expereinces with claims have been?

We are members of the NZMCA and to date have been with Covi who they recommend. However we are now considering making a change following our experience of making a claim when our expensive 3 stage charger blew up just weeks after we bought it. We returned it under guarantee but severe water damage was diagnosed so we were advised by the repairer to make a claim with our insurance company. We were completely upfront with them and said we had no idea (and still don't!) how it could have been water damaged. Covi were sympathetic but it was a shock to discover that the motorhome policy they offer only covers electical equipment if it is "fully immersed" in water so since our whole bus didn't go under water it wouldn't be covered. They agreed this was a bit of a gap in the policy due to the policy basically just being an 'upscaled' vehicle policy. Having had this experience we wrote a "Letter to the Editor" for the NZMCA magazine to warn other members of this exclusion. Our intention was just to allow other members to be aware of this risk so they could take steps to protect themselves as I felt sure that like us they may assume that their electrical gear would be covered particulary as for most of us this equipment amounts to hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of our motorhomes value! (Think inverter, charger, TV, DVD, diesel heater, generators, solar panel regulators, stereo, freeview box, backing camera, washing machine, microwave, fridge ......)

Unfortunately my letter was never published and when I wrote to a NZMCA National committee rep to ask why the reply I got was that they would only publish letters that promoted Covi because of the agreement they have with Covi (eg all the $$ they get from Covi in commisions!) While I have no doubt that the $$ from Covi are benefiting members (myself included!) I feel it is dishonest to only present the positives and I wonder how many other members letters like mine have been censored and disregarded !!

Hence why I am considering other options! One I see advertised regularly elsewhere is Camper Care - any feedback? However I certainly don't want to be "out of the frying pan, into the fire"

Cheers
Sheryl
 #35116  by idex
 Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:00 pm
Sadly, Sheryl you'll probably find that all insurance policies have "gaps" in the cover that you only find out about when you actually make a claim. You'll most likely find these if you read the policy fine print very carefully but how often do you get to read this fine print before you sign up and pay your money? And of course that's assuming that you can anticipate everything that could possibly happen.

Possibly the best you could hope for might be to take insurance cover where many others in a similar situation to yourself have policies in the hope that you might get reasonably treated in the event of a claim. While Covi might have some deficiencies the other companies might actually be worse to deal with (and even maybe more costly!) Only time will tell.

Good luck with your quest for information.
 #35152  by Vamooshe
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 am
We have just changed from Covi to Campercare because the annual premium (including Journey on cover) was $100 pa cheaper.

Call Camper Care and ask them if your Covi claim would be covered by them. We found Camper Care good to deal with.

Greg
 #35155  by Roamnz
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:43 am
Greg, a few questions..
does Campercare have the $300 standard excess and the system whereby the first claim annually does not penalize you with losing your no claim bonus? This is a strong factor for us with Lumley/Covi.

Also will Campercare insure the towed vehicle if you tow an Aframed vehicle? Of course I could look up their website, but maybe you have these facts readily available?

Lumleys Ins is behind Covi, which insurance company is behind the Campercare group? Smillie
 #35158  by Holistic Palace
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 pm
Our renewal came up last month for the motorhome, contents & towed car.
At the time of inquiry with camper care, the contents & car would have been out sourced to someone else...so we stuck with Covi... cheaper too.
 #35162  by The Flying Tortoise
 Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 pm
I don't have a problem with Covi.
I'm very happy with Covi.
If it's true that the NZMCA will not publish correspondence that dares to criticise Covi then I do have a problem.
With the NZMCA.
And their attitude and behaviour toward protecting their vested interest.
Keith
 #35184  by vansvilla
 Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:11 am
Keith is on the money, also covi need ALL comments, especially the negative ones, how else can they improve their cover and service ( Which is pretty good anyway )?
 #35192  by Vamooshe
 Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:22 am
In reply to Smillie's post, The standard excess is $500. The following clause applies to no claims bonus

18. claiM Free recoGnition
If you have remained claim free over the last 5 consecutive years of insuring your vehicle, or a previous similar vehicle, for comprehensive cover with us or another insurance company, we will not reduce your Claim Free Recognition under this policy as long as you do not make more than one claim in any one period of insurance.

Camper care also include the Journey on breakdown cover as part of the policy premium. With Covi we paid about $60 extra on top of the premium. I recommend this breakdown cover to everyone.

Greg
Pay with Paymate Express