#144524  by Grantb
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:35 pm
Hi all. I went for my COF today and passed But.... The guy at VTNZ said I have too many seat belts. My loading cert says 6 berths but I have seating for 9 and 9 seat belts, all factory fitted. He reckons I need to either remove 3 of them or get them checked and entered into the system. In his defence he has given me the name and number of the guy who can do this, but I the think he is reading the Regs wrong. Or I'm completely wrong. I have read that seat belts need to match the number of berths, but nothing that I can see says you cant have more. Can anybody enlighten me on the legal requirements please.
 #144525  by david 60
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:19 pm
Don't worry about it just take 3 out when you go for cof or better still go some where else,. Ring the manager and get his opinion or nzta.
 #144528  by Grantb
 Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 pm
Cheers David, yes it's there inconsistencies that get me. Probably everybody else for that mater, Have being going to them for 5 years and in all those times no one has questioned it before. I will do some more investigating as I certainly don't want to remove them.
 #144534  by NeilV
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:59 am
He’s talking rubbish!

Ring the NZTA and have him corrected!
The requirement states that you should have at least as many seatbelts as berths, not the other way around!

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/choos ... otorhomes/
 #144538  by vansvilla
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:19 am
This is the second time this has happened this month, the number of seat belts exceeding the number of berths.
Because they are counting seatbelts against the number of occupants on the Loading Certificate any more could be construed as "Overloading" or carrying more than allowable.
This will be different to the number of berths.
 #144553  by Grantb
 Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:53 pm
Thanks for all the reply's people. I have been in touch with a man that the VTNZ inspector gave me. His name is Bill Cassiidy . We are going in on Monday to talk to the VTNZ inspector as he has got it wrong.
 #144554  by BUSRSQ
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:05 am
What is written on your COL, if it says 6 passengers, then they will of course balk at there being 9 seats ( and regardless that you wont carry more than 6 you "could")
 #144557  by NeilV
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am
But they not going to try make you rip out the rear ‘lounge’ though are they?

Most purpose built Motorhomes and bus conversions have more seats in total than berths, so making you take out seatbelts seems silly, as (if you were going to anyway) exceeding you CoL would be a easily done, and much less safe too.

The regs only talk about removing berths, not seats or seatbelts:
Standards-compliant seat belts are required to be fitted in rear seating positions until the total number of seat belts in the vehicle match the total number of the vehicle’s sleeping positions (berths). The types of seat belts required are detailed (see Belt types, below).

Please note: if a motorhome is imported or constructed that has more berths than seat belts, either additional standards-compliant seat belts must be retrofit (see Correct installation for retrofits, below) or excess berths must be permanently removed. It is the manufacturer, not the importer or trader, who determines the number of berths.
Pay with Paymate Express