#105951  by Bachonwheels
 Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:34 am
I am a noob at motorhomes and made the costly mistake of buying a 1990 6-berth campervan from a private individual, before researching what the compliance requirements are. Buying the campervan was a stretch on my finances, and every additional cost hurts. The COF of the vehicle is all up to date. The previous owner had it for around 20 years but never bothered with EWOF, so now it is probably up to me and my pocket to get it done. The only items that are connected to 230V are a 3 way fridge, a microwave and an electric heater, battery charger and a relay switchover. I am not sure if it has an RCD. It does have an old looking main on/off switch which can only be switched on by pressing in a little knobby while flicking on the switch. I don't know if it is an RCD. There are no documents or tagging for any of the installation.

1. I am on the shore in Auckland. What is the best way of going about this?
2. What costs am I likely to face?
3. The fridge and water hear both run on gas and all the internal lights are 12V. The microwave is an unnecessary appliance and I am planning to install a diesel heater for winter trips. So, I could completely disregard the 230V system and leave it unused. Would I still require EWOF?
4. Will any campsites refuse me entry, even if I don't connect to their power supply?
5. I know a sparky who does contract work at our factory. If I had to ask him to test and tag the 230V items mentioned, and do any remedial work, would that be good enough to pass the WOEF?
6. Do I need any certification for my LPG system which consists only of a 9kg cyclinder which supplies a gas hob, the fridge and a storage water heater?
 #105961  by Neddy
 Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:25 am
1. What is the best way of going about this?
The simplest and cheapest option would be to do nothing.
The best option would be to get a competent electrician to bring your 230v system up to scratch and find a competent Inspector to certify it.

2. What costs am I likely to face?
Many hundreds of dollars.

3. If I completely disregard the 230V system and leave it unused, would I still require EWOF?
No.

4. Will any campsites refuse me entry, even if I don't connect to their power supply?

No.

5. I know a sparky who does contract work at our factory. If I had to ask him to test and tag the 230V items mentioned, and do any remedial work, would that be good enough to pass the WOEF?
Maybe. Maybe not. It is an unfortunate fact that different Inspectors interpret and apply the regulations differently.

6. Do I need any certification for my LPG system which consists only of a 9kg cyclinder which supplies a gas hob, the fridge and a storage water heater?

Certification is required if any changes are made to your existing setup.

7. Is the 12V system also inspected in the EWOF?
No.

Neville.
 #105963  by idex
 Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:53 am
Bachonwheels wrote: 6. Do I need any certification for my LPG system which consists only of a 9kg cyclinder which supplies a gas hob, the fridge and a storage water heater?
Providing you don't alter any of the existing gas installation in any way you shouldn't need to have it tested and certified. From a safety point of view though, bearing in mind the age of the installation, I think it might be worth having it checked over. This could be costly, depending on who you use and what they find, so get a quote first.

7. The 12V system is not included in the EWOF check.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a qualified person in either the gas or electrical fields, so the above comments are from a layman's perspective and you may find others will have different opinions.
 #105974  by WoodyZ
 Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:13 am
Bachonwheels wrote: 5. I know a sparky who does contract work at our factory...........
Be aware that many sparkies have little to no knowledge of the requirements specific to transportable structures (your motorhome).
 #106787  by Sarmajor
 Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:16 pm
The thing that frustrates the hell out of me is that the required standards for electrical work on Transportable Installations (what they call caravans and mobile homes among other thing so) are available free to all Electricians with a current practicing license.
 #110334  by Minnie
 Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:27 pm
Sarmajor wrote:The thing that frustrates the hell out of me is that the required standards for electrical work on Transportable Installations (what they call caravans and mobile homes among other thing so) are available free to all Electricians with a current practicing license.
And gasfitters with a current practicing licence have "free" access to the gas standards.

But it depends what you mean by free. The tradesman pay a licensing fee, their respective licensing boards pay a large swodge of money to Standards NZ for a volume licence.
Pay with Paymate Express