#130004  by RaymonD
 Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:40 pm
mattn wrote: "Its is now ILLGEAL for anyone other than a QUALIFIED PRACTITIONER to do ANY mains electrical or gas fitting work on a motorhome or caravan"
So tell me, what about the 100's if not 1000's of motorhomes and caravans that are on the road that have been home built or rebuilt pre the change in regulations that were forced upon us Kiwi DIY's. are they now illegal, if so what is being done to bring then into line and fill the trades peoples coffers.
Your comments would be appreciated, after all I changed an unsafe installation to a safe one.
 #130008  by Zukiwi
 Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:20 pm
RaymonD wrote:Why would he be in danger of losing his license for work carried out under his supervision ?
Raymond, that's the point. You haven't stated that your work was carried out under the gasfitter's supervision.. If not, then presumably as others have pointed out, the gasfitter shouldn't certify the work as they hadn't supervised it?
RaymonD wrote:So tell me, what about the 100's if not 1000's of motorhomes and caravans that are on the road that have been home built or rebuilt pre the change in regulations that were forced upon us Kiwi DIY's. are they now illegal,
I don't know the answer, in the sense as to whether or not installations done before the change in 2013 have to be retrospectively certified; I suspect not, but I'd check with the relevant agency (but see below).
Minnie wrote:Any gasfitting carried out after April 2010 has been required to be carried out by a person authorised by the PGDB
Seems clear enough - if the fitting was done prior to 04/13 that requirement doesn't apply.
Minnie wrote:Up to July 2013, there was an exemption from the need for certification for <15 kg installations.
And with this limited exemption.

Cheers
John
 #130009  by Minnie
 Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 pm
RaymonD wrote: Why would he be in danger of losing his license for work carried out under his supervision ?
You didn't say the work had been carried out under a gasfitter's supervision. In fact you said:
I removed the old appliances and fitted new units, replaced rubber gas hose with copper pipe, only to be told that I can not do that as the regulations where changed a few years ago and I had to employ a Gas Fitter
The Board has very, ahhh, "limited" views on what is considered to be supervision and "supervising" after the fact doesn't float.
 #130011  by Minnie
 Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:31 pm
RaymonD wrote:
mattn wrote: "Its is now ILLGEAL for anyone other than a QUALIFIED PRACTITIONER to do ANY mains electrical or gas fitting work on a motorhome or caravan"
So tell me, what about the 100's if not 1000's of motorhomes and caravans that are on the road that have been home built or rebuilt pre the change in regulations that were forced upon us Kiwi DIY's. are they now illegal, if so what is being done to bring then into line and fill the trades peoples coffers.
Your comments would be appreciated, after all I changed an unsafe installation to a safe one.
The law says that an installation that does not comply with current requirements may continue to be used provided it was was lawfully installed at the time and is now not unsafe. While in the past anyone could have done the gas in a caravan, it has always been required to meet the installation code.

So any DIY caravan built before 2010 is not"illegal" provided it was compliant when built and is currently not unsafe.
 #130013  by RaymonD
 Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 pm
Okay, so to get my gas installation certified what do I have to do, given that the vehicle was set up with gas (LPG) connections to old appliances.
 #130016  by BUSRSQ
 Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 pm
RaymonD wrote:
BUSRSQ wrote:I doubt any GASFITTER will certify someone else's work ( actually I know they wont )
An interesting statement, you actually know, how can that be, if a Gas Fitter is happy with my workmanship, why should he not sign it of ? as having being been done under his watch ??
You would not be on here asking IF a gasfitter had supervised you, as it would already be signed off.
 #130018  by BUSRSQ
 Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm
RaymonD wrote:Okay, so to get my gas installation certified what do I have to do, given that the vehicle was set up with gas (LPG) connections to old appliances.
You will have to get a complete NEW system INSTALLED by a CERTIFIED person who will then CERTIFY his/her work.
Your workmanship may be as good or even better than the person doing the new install BUT that is neither here nor there as YOU are not certified to do the work.
as with most laws they are not retrospective, if they were your "new" motor home would not be legal in any way.
 #130019  by RaymonD
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 am
No further comment,
going by some of the comments it would not surprise me if the Compliance Squad comes knocking on the door.

I'm amazed at how protective of their trade some tradesmen are.

We are turning into a Country full of rules and regulations, many of which are promoted by vested interests using safety as an excuse to stop non trades people doing their own work.

I have written to WorkSafe but so far no response from them, probably trying to find where I live so they can do a compliance raid :-)
There are so many anomalies in the making of safety rules, if there is vested interests then rules get made to protect those interests, yet we can all handle and distribute volatile liquids with impunity.

As for paying for a complete new install just to get certified, should be a lot of worried motorhomers out there.....
Pay with Paymate Express