#130021  by starkid101
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:58 am
do i recall somewhere a rule that says 9kg gas and hose under 1.5 meters is legal without gas fitters certification :?:
 #130022  by Minnie
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:36 am
RaymonD wrote:Okay, so to get my gas installation certified what do I have to do, given that the vehicle was set up with gas (LPG) connections to old appliances.
What I would do is to get the gasfitter to remove the hob and then give him a cup of tea (and possibly a lie down). Then get him to install the hob and issue the certification currently required (a Certificate of Compliance and a Gas Safety Certificate). The certification would cover only the installation of the hob.

I would then get him to inspect your pipework and to issue a Certificate of Verification (CoV) made under NZS 5255: Safety verification of existing gas installations. This certification says the installation in not unsafe and is OK to use.
 #130030  by Karmann57
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 am
Just curious as to what the gas compliance "certificate" looks like? A couple of weeks ago I had a Gas Fitter come to check out a very weak flame on my stove, which I had attributed to poor gas quality. He fixed it by replacing the 10 year old regulator in the gas locker, but I have no certification paperwork to indicate compliance of the existing system :?:
 #130065  by Minnie
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:17 pm
Karmann57 wrote:Just curious as to what the gas compliance "certificate" looks like? A couple of weeks ago I had a Gas Fitter come to check out a very weak flame on my stove, which I had attributed to poor gas quality. He fixed it by replacing the 10 year old regulator in the gas locker, but I have no certification paperwork to indicate compliance of the existing system :?:
A small job such as replacing a regulator requires at least a Gas Safety Certificate with the Certificate of Compliance being an optional extra for "low risk" work.

Just what it looks like depends on what forms the gasfitter is using. Some may use the forms provided by the regulator; others may use forms provided by their trade organisation such as Master Plumbers; while other may use one of several subscription on-line systems where they can enter the details on a database and the system spits out a form.

But they all need the magic words "Gas Safety Certificate"; a description of what has been done and where; a statement along the lines of "I confirm that the work has been connected to a gas system and is safe to use"; identification of the gasfittter including his rego number; and signed and dated.
 #130066  by Karmann57
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:25 pm
Minnie, all I got was an invoice for $100 for the regulator and 30 minutes work :)
 #130074  by Minnie
 Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:09 am
Karmann57 wrote:Minnie, all I got was an invoice for $100 for the regulator and 30 minutes work :)
The invoice didn't contain the 'magic words"?

The gasfitter is legally obliged to provide you with the Gas Safety Certificate. Following completion of the job he has twenty working days to issue the GSC. He then has another twenty working days to provide you with a copy. You can shortcut the second period by asking for it — he then has seven working days. If he doesn't then he commits an offence that can cop a $1000 instant fine.

If you ask for it he will probably ask for extra money. I would resist this. He can't not give it to you without breaking the law.
 #130076  by scubadoo
 Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 am
You have got me just a little worried now Minnie. :?

Over two years ago I removed our Dometic 3-Way fridge after first seeking advice from a local long established ... Plumbing & Gas outfit.

Their advice was to turn off the gas, remove cylinder, disconnect fridge gas fitting at the fridge end , remove fridge then return for an end cap fitting.
I followed their instruction and duly returned for that fitment.
The gas fitter installed the end cap and checked for leaks.

No certificate issued just a cash sale receipt.
Date 14/04/2015
Install male flare connector and brass cap in campervan.
Titon 48-6-8 Male Flare Conn 3/8 x 1/2
15mm Screw Cap Brass
Total $26.10

How concerned should I be?
Pay with Paymate Express