#130087  by Andycap
 Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:39 pm
Hi ,just my 2 peneth BUT ,what really amazes me are ALL those people who are risking ,there lives ,the people`s lives parked next to them ,there probably expensive motorhome/caravan ,there insurance cover etc by even CONTEMPLATING doing any gas or mains electrical work themselves as unqualified and unauthorised professionals .There are enough pics of fires in vehicles to see ,to surely know better .
in my opinion its the no8 wire attitude at its worst .
Andy .
 #130088  by joncar
 Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:25 pm
Interesting in what you say Minnie re obligations of the Gas Fitter/ inspector re time period to issue a GSC!
Mine was completed on 17 May and he told me it was all done 'on line' now.
I have received nothing from him or the authorities as yet... in fact I had forgot all about it... :roll:

John
 #130089  by RaymonD
 Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 pm
Andycap wrote:Hi ,just my 2 peneth BUT ,what really amazes me are ALL those people who are risking ,there lives ,the people`s lives parked next to them ,there probably expensive motorhome/caravan ,there insurance cover etc by even CONTEMPLATING doing any gas or mains electrical work themselves as unqualified and unauthorised professionals .There are enough pics of fires in vehicles to see ,to surely know better .
in my opinion its the no8 wire attitude at its worst .
Andy .
I was not going to comment any further on this thread but the above got my hackles up.

Andy I am not sure what you are on about, what a load of nonsense, because you have a ticket to do something does not mean that you are any better than those that do not have tickets, some of the worse electrical work I have seen has been done by Tradesmen.
As for Professionals, this word is really been bandied about and attached to all and sundry.
I'm a Professional Do It Yourself Kiwi, you Andy obviously are not as you berate our No 8 fencing wire attitude, there are many examples where that attitude has lead to the world being a better place to live in.
You must live in terror as you drive (you do drive ?) around our great country where we manage to kill about one person a day.
Fires in vehicles, yes, what are you implying, there are house and building fires caused by gas and or electrical faults, I hope you are not implying that they were caused by non trades work.
In my younger years we use to get the yearly statistics on electrical accidents, not very nice, I was on shift once when an electrician went into a live 3.3 kv cubicle and fire-balled himself, thought the cubicle was dead and got a spanner across some terminals.

I have a number of certificates for high voltage work, even got a job over a registered electrician once a long time ago..

So Andy think before you waffle on about something you obviously know nout about.

This is definitely my last comment on this thread, say what you like,
 #130104  by Andycap
 Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:03 am
Raymond ,you have missed the point I was making in your haste to stand up and announce that your a true kiwi ? So I will reply in a courteous manner . in fact sir your no different from the rest of us ,only in your own head :-T just an ordinary bloke . .just a bit of my background .Driving for 49yrs ,UK, Europe ,NZ. Been 46 yrs in the construction trade .38 yrs running my own businesses .Have built ,hundreds of houses ,completed 100`s of conversions .Have worked with dozens of trades here and several countries in Europe .Have also built and fitted out my own jet boats since being in NZ(23 yrs .).and I HAVE seen the consequences of crap workmanship on all fronts .tradesman and diy ers .As for fires etc in NZ caused by trades people of course there are ,along with the leaky homes .

Point I was making was that if this work is carried out by non-proffesional registered people you have NO COMEBACK . Health and safety rules most stuff now along with the insurance companies . (try running a construction firm after the Ch.ch quakes! )and that is fact . Never ever been anything wrong with diy /no8 wire (but why announce it as though you invented it ,been around hundreds of yrs all over the world). ) as long as you are AWARE of when you NEED and MUST seek proffesional help .
Have a good day Raymond ,.Regards.
 #130106  by 96coaster
 Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 am
The strange thing about some of these rules (made, in many cases, I suspect to protect and feather their own nests) is that you can not do a simple regulator change, and yet you can pull all the brakes and steering to bits on a 40 seater bus, put back together and drive off into the blue yonder.
 #130114  by Karmann57
 Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm
My point exactly. In my case it was a simple regulator swap involving one pipe connection inside the gas locker, which my gas fitter with 30 years experience could do blind folded in 10 minutes. It is obviously legal to swap the gas bottle yourself without requiring any Gas Safety Certificate. Also if you go to Bunnings you can purchase a selection of regulator/hose combinations and I guess fit them to your BBQ/RV yourself.
Last edited by WoodyZ on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed redundant quote of immediately prior post.
 #130122  by BUSRSQ
 Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:20 pm
96coaster wrote:The strange thing about some of these rules (made, in many cases, I suspect to protect and feather their own nests) is that you can not do a simple regulator change, and yet you can pull all the brakes and steering to bits on a 40 seater bus, put back together and drive off into the blue yonder.
Well yes and no.
Yes you can and good on you BUT if you have a serious accident and somebody is killed And they deem that a brake failure is the cause,then they will look at WHO did the service and if they were qualified or not,
long story short you could end up being charged with manslaughter
 #130124  by Zukiwi
 Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:40 pm
BUSRSQ wrote:long story short you could end up being charged with manslaughter
But not posthumously :-T

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express