Page 2 of 6

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:53 pm
by petercw
If you hv solar power you can survive without electricity, we hv both but only use 12v and had bottle. Our solar is 165w,battery 130ahr. We don't hv TV or microwave.. I removed it as not needed. Cooking & Fridge is on gas. :D you need a good supply of water for drinking, we hv that separated from our other water. :TU

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:06 pm
by malcybabe
I see you are a member of the NZMCA so your question is easily answered contact one of the many electrical inspector listed in the literature sent to you when you first joined or go on line into there website and you will find someone close to where you live and book for a inspection the cost of my last one was $50.00 they are very thorough and if your system is up to standard they will provide you with certification or if you fail they will itemise the problems so you can get them fixed

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:02 pm
by RaymonD
Having in the past built two motorhomes (Bus conversions) and done all the 230vac (Got then certified) and LPG installations (No certification required ) I have now recently purchased a commercially made motorhome, which unfortunately had old gas appliances with no flame fail.
Now being very safety conscious I removed the old appliances and fitted new units, replaced rubber gas hose with copper pipe, only to be told that I can not do that as the regulations where changed a few years ago and I had to employ a Gas Fitter, dam.

I have perused the appropriate Government sites and found that yes, Gas Fitters have to do all the work, however looking further I came across this statement ----

"All gasfitting and installation prescribed electrical work must be certified. For example, in particular gasfitting on installations connected to cylinders at or below 15 kgs requires certification."

I am quite sure the underlined statement refers to the old regs where that size supply was exempt, but, the way I read it is that all I need to do is get my work certified.

Now you Plumbing gurus and others what is your take on this ??

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:40 pm
by BUSRSQ
I doubt any GASFITTER will certify someone else's work ( actually I know they wont )

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:04 pm
by Minnie
RaymonD wrote:Having in the past built two motorhomes (Bus conversions) and done all the 230vac (Got then certified) and LPG installations (No certification required ) I have now recently purchased a commercially made motorhome, which unfortunately had old gas appliances with no flame fail.
Now being very safety conscious I removed the old appliances and fitted new units, replaced rubber gas hose with copper pipe, only to be told that I can not do that as the regulations where changed a few years ago and I had to employ a Gas Fitter, dam.

I have perused the appropriate Government sites and found that yes, Gas Fitters have to do all the work, however looking further I came across this statement ----

"All gasfitting and installation prescribed electrical work must be certified. For example, in particular gasfitting on installations connected to cylinders at or below 15 kgs requires certification."

I am quite sure the underlined statement refers to the old regs where that size supply was exempt, but, the way I read it is that all I need to do is get my work certified.

Now you Plumbing gurus and others what is your take on this ??
Any gasfitting carried out after April 2010 has been required to be carried out by a person authorised by the PGDB. Not necessarily a gasfitter, for instance, technicians at a caravan manufacturer will have a limited gasfitting exemption.

Up to July 2013, there was an exemption from the need for certification for <15 kg installations.

After July 2013, everything needed to be certified.

The current law states that a certifying gasfitter may only certify work he has carried out or the work of others carried out under his supervision.

You may be able to find a certifying gasfitter who will sign off the work but he would be in danger of losing his licence if the PGDB got wind of it.

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm
by mattn
Same applies to Electrical work. Its actually so simple, its almost unbelievable how many discussions on it there are in this forum, and how often the question is asked.

If you were Bart Simpson, detention home would be 1000 lines of
"Its is now ILLGEAL for anyone other than a QUALIFIED PRACTITIONER to do ANY mains electrical or gas fitting work on a motorhome or caravan"

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 pm
by RaymonD
BUSRSQ wrote:I doubt any GASFITTER will certify someone else's work ( actually I know they wont )
An interesting statement, you actually know, how can that be, if a Gas Fitter is happy with my workmanship, why should he not sign it of ? as having being been done under his watch ??

Re: Compliance advice please.

PostPosted:Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 pm
by RaymonD
Minnie wrote: The current law states that a certifying gasfitter may only certify work he has carried out or the work of others carried out under his supervision.

You may be able to find a certifying gasfitter who will sign off the work but he would be in danger of losing his licence if the PGDB got wind of it.
Why would he be in danger of losing his license for work carried out under his supervision ?