#128471  by hughstott
 Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:10 am
If someone who ISN'T a member of the NZMCA gets their vehicle a CSC that is carried out by a non affiliated member of the NZMCA eg. a plumber, who issues the plastic card that is displayed in the vehicles window? The reason I ask was we were having a lively discussion last night and I was debating that it wasn't the NZMCA going on their statement under the CSC search engine for those that are done privately. "Please note - although the NZMCA's database contains extensive vehicle self-containment information, a small number of vehicles are not certified through the NZMCA, therefore the record may not be housed electronically."
Cheers
Hugh
 #128501  by Zukiwi
 Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 pm
Hugh, it's entirely possible that a private SC vehicle like you've described doesn't have a blue window card. And does it really need one? The completed certificate (a paper record) is the only proof of current CSC status. The window card, like the blue sticker, is just an indicator for NZMCA members and has no standing in terms of the standard.

Cheers
John
 #128507  by hughstott
 Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 pm
Thanks John thats pretty much the point I was trying to make in the conversation I had the other night. I basically wanted to see what other peoples thoughts were on it
 #128655  by beanpole
 Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 pm
All CSC compliant vehicles should have both the certificate, carried within the vehicle and the warrant, which must be displayed. The sticker is also required to be of the correct design but is not an indication that a vehicle is compliant.

If the "issuing authority", plumber or whoever, has not used the correct design of warrant and certificate and complied with the details set out in NZS 5465 2001 and its 2 amendments, the CSC may be invalid.

Now the NZMCA is not doing non-member CSC others may step into the role as an issuing authority, including plumbers, but to meet the full compliance of the standard, they should have their own paperwork printed and supply details on a website to validate that compliance.

There will still remain CSC compliant vehicles with a CSC issued by the NZMCA for up to 4 years but unless that owner joins the NZMCA, the CSC will not be renewed by the NZMCA.

Gordon
 #128659  by Zukiwi
 Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 pm
Gordon, I wonder if the window card actually adds anything to the outcome, apart from providing an external apparent verification of compliance with a bit more detail than the blue sticker than on the rear? The real proof is the actual certificate issued at time of inspection and compliance. The problem is that the CSC standard is so inaccessible that many people who might want to comply, but have little time to find out (cf overseas van travellers), are almost actively prevented from finding out what they need to know to conform and adhere to the standard, regardless of their good intentions.

It's a very real problem that even NZMCA members, who's organisation is driving the changes to the standard, can't actually access it. So we're left to accept the assurances of the organisation, rather than being able to examine the detail and decide for ourselves.

Cheers
John
 #128670  by beanpole
 Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:11 am
Both the warrant and certificate have the issuing authorities details or the plumbers registration number on them.
These can be used by any enforcement authority to verify the CSC if required.

As you know, the NZMCA membership card was designed to be visible in the window to stop any aggro from others as to current membership when parked up in one of the parks; without confronting anyone. The CSC warrant in the window does the same for enforcement officers.

Now with NZMCA SC Officers not doing non-member CSC checks, and the standard being inaccessible to the general public as it comes under the copyright laws, unless you contact a SC Officer or plumber, who is able to comply with the standard if not available easily?????

Putting aside the concerns of SC Officers of the overload in checking CSC on non-member vehicles that are dubious at least, we will now have an even worse situation of the sleeper van type of vehicle not being able to find someone to check for CSC. I asked on this forum some time ago as to who knew of anyone doing checks "privately", the replies were minimal.

Given that the constitution has been changed (4.1.10) IMHO the NZMCA has effectively shot itself in the foot by withdrawing from issuing non-member CSC's.
Gordon
 #128672  by MG366
 Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 am
For the life of me, I just can't get my head around the "secrecy" of the SC standards ... Why on earth would you want to protect them under copyright? Totally bizzare
or I am losing marbles ... :-T :?

Grant
 #128691  by Karmann57
 Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:51 pm
beanpole wrote:Given that the constitution has been changed (4.1.10) IMHO the NZMCA has effectively shot itself in the foot by withdrawing from issuing non-member CSC's
I agree with you Gordon, previously the NZMCA charged non-members an appropriate fee for CSC inspections which would provide the CSC officer and/or the NZMCA a valuable income in addition to helping to ensure that the CSC standards are enforced.
Pay with Paymate Express