#143445  by Liztubbs
 Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:01 pm
Hi. I have a caravan that is really low and has little ground clearance. I've had a look and it looks like I could put a spacer between the duratorque axle and the chassis. My question is if anyone has done this? Or knows how I can check if it is legal? Thanks in advance. :D
 #143461  by mattn
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:31 am
Check the duratorques have no sagged. How old are they?
 #143465  by Growlerbearnz
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:17 am
Indeed- my wee caravan's duratorques slowly sagged over the years (until they rapidly sagged halfway up Takaka hill, which wasn't fun.)

Light trailers (which means caravans) don't have any requirements for certification when modified or repaired; at least, not as far as a WOF is concerned (https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/ ... l-trailers). They just have to be strong enough for purpose. Your insurance company might take a different view.

Obviously, though, you want your axle to be attached to the chassis securely, in a way that won't unduly stress the chassis or axle. Solid steel spacers and high-tensile bolts is probably the way to go, but it's a good idea to have an engineer take a look at it- the extra distance between the axle and chassis might transfer a twisting force to the chassis rails, which might also need strengthening.
 #143467  by Expander
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:32 am
Can you fit a taller tyre on?
 #143469  by Liztubbs
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:31 am
Thanks for the reply. The duratorques are very old. I'm guessing the same age as the caravan (50). Can they be reconditioned? Does that raise the van?
 #143472  by mattn
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 am
Reconditioning them is not cheap - a complete new axle assembly is about 1000-1100 dollars, get in touch with Trojan.

http://www.boler.ca/2017/05/19/torsion-axle describes a way to check the amount of sag and if its acceptable. Although not the Trojan Dura torque, the method would be similar.

Lifting an old axle is not a great solution as there is little suspension travel remaining, meaning the tires do a lot more work and the van will get bounced around much more than desirable.

Al alternate that os possibly a lot cheaper than dura torques is going to leaf springs. You would need to ensure the mounting locations were up to the task, and ride height would be lifted.
 #143513  by Derb
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:35 pm
You can pretty much guarantee the Duratorque will be settled and rock-solid by now. The only suspension will be your tires. I have been up that road. Either retrofit leaf spring system or new Duratorque axle. This will also ensure new axle, brgs etc. Years of no wories also. Cheers.
 #143514  by Liztubbs
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 pm
I tested the old duratorque and they still have movement, so I think I'll look into lifting. And bigger tyres. Any other suggestions welcome.
Pay with Paymate Express