#143517  by Liztubbs
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 am
mattn wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 am
Reconditioning them is not cheap - a complete new axle assembly is about 1000-1100 dollars, get in touch with Trojan.

http://www.boler.ca/2017/05/19/torsion-axle describes a way to check the amount of sag and if its acceptable. Although not the Trojan Dura torque, the method would be similar.

Lifting an old axle is not a great solution as there is little suspension travel remaining, meaning the tires do a lot more work and the van will get bounced around much more than desirable.

Al alternate that os possibly a lot cheaper than dura torques is going to leaf springs. You would need to ensure the mounting locations were up to the task, and ride height would be lifted.
Thank you mattn that link was very helpful. Looks like my duratorques are OK. Now I just have to tackle the height problem. Maybe bigger tyres.
 #143518  by Liztubbs
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 am
Growlerbearnz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:17 am
Indeed- my wee caravan's duratorques slowly sagged over the years (until they rapidly sagged halfway up Takaka hill, which wasn't fun.)

Light trailers (which means caravans) don't have any requirements for certification when modified or repaired; at least, not as far as a WOF is concerned (https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/ ... l-trailers). They just have to be strong enough for purpose. Your insurance company might take a different view.

Obviously, though, you want your axle to be attached to the chassis securely, in a way that won't unduly stress the chassis or axle. Solid steel spacers and high-tensile bolts is probably the way to go, but it's a good idea to have an engineer take a look at it- the extra distance between the axle and chassis might transfer a twisting force to the chassis rails, which might also need strengthening.
Thank you. I think I'll head down this route. I managed to test the suspension and it seems to be working fine. And have found info on the set up a angle, showing it hasn't moved. So spacers it is.
I need a bit more clearance for these northland roads!
 #147011  by ross.alex.tait
 Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:00 pm
Any good Engineering or trailer outfit would be able to make up spacers for it to lift the caravan up higher.
One way is a spacer made out of some Rhs (box section)and spacers welded into the space where the bolts go through so it can never crush or collapse.Then end caps welded on the ends as another safety.Can either just paint them or get them galvanized before you fit them.
I myself made some spacers that raised ours up as it was a bit too low and tended to scrape the ground on gutters etc and was a pain to drain the waste tanks as so low
If you are reasonably able you could get them to measure it up /make them and then you just jack one side up at a time and fit the spacer in with longer bolts and your done or get them to do it all for you
Pay with Paymate Express