#145129  by stingrayk
 Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:26 pm
I see in latest NZMCA mag that rucs are going up, and that unexpired charges will be credited when buying kms at the new rate. Ok. Went to local testing station (for trailer WoF) two days ago, and asked how the claim process was best done. I was asked if it was a private motorhome (yes, on a 5t sticker) or a "commercial" one. As it is privately owned and operated, I was told that the October 31 cutoff date did not apply, and I should only buy new rucs when the existing ones run much lower. Who was right? My grey brain gets confused easily except when it may mean having to cash in 2500km at a lower rate and then re-purchase them at a higher rate. Or was she getting confused with vehicles <3.5t?
 #145140  by Paul
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 am
Hi Yes I think she was.
From the nzta website "RUC licences that will expire one month after the rate increase
If the RUC rate for your heavy vehicle is increasing, your RUC licence will expire one month after the date of the increase. If the rate for your vehicle is not increasing, your licence will not expire. RUC licences for light vehicles (3.5 tonnes and under) will not expire."
Hope this helps Paul
 #145142  by vansvilla
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:09 am
The confusing part is that in the RUC Handbook (which you can download for free) on page 7 it states that the rate for Motor Caravans in not going up.
Woohoo, lots of joy until you then read page 33 where I'd describes a Motor Caravan and shows the type numbers to which they refer, Type 413 and 414.
Whereas type 413 is 3 axle vehicles over 18 ton and
Type 414 which is a 4 axle vehicle any weight.
Unfortunately most of us are type 2 vehicles and so the rate does apply.
Unless your GVM is less than 3500Kg in which case your RUC licence does not expire, ie you don't need to do anything.
If over 3501Kg then take your Hubo reading to wherever you buy RUC , and arrange new.
If they persist in saying you don't need to then get it in writing from the manager, it might make a good defense :-T :-T
 #145224  by stingrayk
 Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 am
Now visited 3 different agencies for NZTA. None was able to give me correct info, although the AA did try to ring. (NZTA had major phone issues yesterday apparently). Rang them myself this morning, to be told that ALL agencies have been sent a memo on how to do it, so back to town again! Trying to do it online will not work unless buying new km only.
 #145236  by Doit
 Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:01 pm
Just ignore it. Go buy another 2000kms at the new price so your lable shows an October date.
It's all a ripoff and a shambles for us with motorhomes that weigh less than 4000kgs loaded.
 #145240  by DarrenM
 Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:31 pm
We need a like button...
Pay with Paymate Express