#147554  by NeilV
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:31 pm
Well what a wonderful way to educate and address the responsibilities of freedom campers in Whangerei. Personal visit by an ‘ambassador’ and a little pack of information and a dash card (advising others and enforcement agency that we have been met and know the rules) provided in a very friendly way.

http://www.wdc.govt.nz/FacilitiesandRec ... mping.aspx

Question it doesn’t address though...
We are staying in a layby opposite the Father-in-law (2nd night tonight) and the rules say 3 nights max and move on at least 1km for non designated areas in a CSC vehicle... but don’t say for how long before returning?

No other CSC vehicles or campers have come by (reasonably remote location) so leaving for a night and returning wouldn’t inconvenience anyone and would ‘reset’ our 3 night clock wouldn’t it?
 #147571  by NeilV
 Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm
Nobody knows more than that?

What are the chances I get pinged $200 for coming back after a day away :(
 #147572  by Nut17
 Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:31 pm
You could have made a polite phone inquiry to the council to put your mind at rest. Too late now though :?
 #147573  by NeilV
 Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:18 pm
Did try but was outside office hours already when I first thought to do it \_o_/

Ce est Le vie... lets see if ArmourGuard are festive or not and enthusiastic enough to come all the way out here and see if even THEY know :-T
 #147611  by Mark
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:00 pm
Their FC bylaw will be available on their website.
If it doesn't specify how many days away "resets" your 3 days, then one day must be sufficient. (If I was a judge, that's what I'd say!)
 #147613  by NeilV
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:25 pm
Yep, will try ring them for clarity tomorrow, but having had a visit early Christmas Day by one of their ambassadors on my ‘one night away’ I think I’m in the clear. Tonight will be my second ‘third night’ and then I’ll likely be able to move on anyway (the piles of engines/compressors and such he collected now being stored in a shed down the road *whew*)
 #147618  by Mark
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:31 pm
With all due respect (to council staff), I have found that they will sometimes tell you what they think the "intention" was when the bylaw was drafted. That is, on occasion, not what the bylaw says.
The law is what the words say, not what someone intended. Always read the words. :-)
 #147619  by Mark
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:37 pm
Haven't read the whole thing but this clause seems to cover your question:
6.3 Except where this Bylaw provides for a lesser period, no person may camp for more than three nights
in any four-week consecutive period in any one area, or within 1 kilometre of any area they have
previously camped in within that four-week period. The four consecutive weeks begin from the first
stay

So, it's a total of three nights in a four-week period - unless you move more than 1 km away - or wait for 28 days, from your first night, before going back to that spot.
Pay with Paymate Express