#64390  by Justintime
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 pm
Rosemary,

You say hubo had died since last COF. That's only six months surely??

Dene
 #64392  by Rosemary&Peter
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 pm
Yep...so I and VTNZ lady did our calculations from that point.

Land Transport went back to 2009....because they have nothing better to do!

Going to dig out old COF forms...LT's own records....and get Peter to figure out where we clocked up 20, 000 k's without realising it.

We figure there will be a sudden jump in odo meter readings that cannot be accounted for....

Methinks we're on a wild goose chase...as I said...proving perhaps an odometer glitch would be impossible.

Is is possible that the odometer could have "jumped" a few 10's of thousand ks due to a fault....or as I hypothesised, a particulary bumpy road caused a fault? The road I'm thinking of the one to Kohaihai in Feb 2011. We had done Molesworth, been up to French Pass and down to Paterau....no strangers to the gravel.

The Kohaihai road was appalling. We honestly thought that bits were going to break off the Bus...and for the first and only time..we found a spot to turn around.
 #64395  by Mark
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:58 pm
Why not just ask them for the calculations they did to claim that 20,000 km was not paid for?

Either, it will stack up, or there will be some mistake they have made that you can point out to them....

Or is that too simple :?
 #64397  by MG366
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:22 pm
Rosemary - another thought - check your rego on carjam - unfortunately they seem to record kms for the odo rather than the hubo, but at least that might clarify any mis-recording and allow you to establish an "average" pattern for the bodkins-with-nothing-better-to-do department. After all it is their staff who record the odo at COF's - I'm sure they also must record the hubo reading too - but it doesnt show on carjam. There is probably someone else on the forum who knows where to find that detail - http://www.carjam.co.nz/
cheers Grant
 #64401  by BrownBear
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 pm
When they decide the cost are the older milage being worked out at the price that the RUC was being charged at in 2009 or are they trying to charge you for all of it at todays prices.
 #64403  by Rosemary&Peter
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 pm
Well....exhaustive figure checking, confirmed with carjam(thanks Grant!) readings consistant.

Appears hubo started crapping out in early 2009....reading approximately 1/2 the miles we had actually travelled. 100 % difference. :o

Beyond me how no-one noticed until the bloody thing died completely, early this year. One would have thought that the same computer recording odo readings/hubo readings and RUC payments would have the capacity to ring a bell or flash a light to let us know that the hubo was SOOOO out of kilter before we racked up such a whopping bill.

11th Commandment....put not thy faith in gadgets.

No-one to blame but me....really.

Going to go out the back and beat myself with a stick. :oops:

Then going to advertise a kidney for sale on Trademe.
 #64408  by Rosemary&Peter
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm
I am boringly picky about the RUC payments. (Well, I thought I was!!!)

I pay up. I pay the difference between the new and old rates....happily holding up the queue at the counter while the person what does calculates what I owe.

I even had to spend 15 minutes on the phone to the Big Boys because I had unfortunately bought about 5000 k's 'suspiciously' close to the time when the rate went up.

Oh dear! Whats that saying about the pathway to hell...?
 #64418  by idex
 Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:28 pm
Don't give up the battle too early Rosemary. It took us more than 6 months to fight LTNZ when we had to replace a non-functioning hubometer. In the end we had to decide that the last $50 was not worth wasting any more effort on so we called it a day. Collect all relevant information and do your calculations carefully to prove your case. It may even be worth checking your fuel purchase receipts to compare with distances travelled. Settle in for a protracted argument and if you can't reach a satisfactory solution then simply tell them you'll take it to the Disputes Tribunal. That was the only thing that hurried the process for us!

Good luck.
Pay with Paymate Express