#67998  by pjs11
 Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 pm
Back in 2008 I noticed on my Toyota Coaster that 1000km on the speedo was only recording around 750 km on the hub meter. I investigated this and found that for some time the distributors of the AccuTrak brand had been specifying the wrong model hub meter for this size wheel.
They were supplying 414 revs per km instead of 440. I actually saw the wrong specification on their application sheet. At sometime it seems 440 had been written down as 414 and I suppose it is understandable if someone had been verbally reading them out and mistook 440 as 414.
I have personally checked a number of coasters and civilians from around this era and found a lot of them with the wrong meter so it is not surprising that some are being chased up to pay.
Apparently the responsibility is on the owner to have the correct meter fitted and I am sure almost all of us would have compared the two readings to make sure we are not being ripped off by a crook hub meter.
I considered saying nothing but rightly figured i could end up with a large bill so investigated and swapped for the correct meter without charge along with the paper work.
Use a bit of school maths to check out the correct revs per km of the meter. The revs per km is marked on the face of the meter.
regards
Peter
 #68019  by Rusty Nail
 Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:32 pm
I don't understand what this is all about!

We all have to run hubos because presumably LTSA or their predecessors deemed working off the vehicle factory speedo was likely to be inaccurate. Surely then it follows that if there is a discrepancy it is more likely to be the vehicles standard speedo that is not reading correctly, rather than the fancy super accurate hubo? Provided the right hubmeter is fitted of course.
 #68021  by Alec
 Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 am
Peter quoted "The revs per km is marked on the face of the meter"

I can't say I have seen this, but I know that the transporter I drove for many years had hubo's on both the tractor unit and the trailer, as each unit had different sized tyres fitted and the "tyre size" was marked on the front of esch hub meter.

On the motorhome I have just purchased the hubo numbers are non readable as they have been rubbing on the plastic face, but by removing the meter I was able to determine that it still has 3000km left, but no guarantee the reading is correct. The only numbers stamped on this meter is the serial number
 #68032  by Rosemary&Peter
 Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:47 am
My last post about our issues with LTSA and our presumable dodgey hubo ended with me sending yet another email to a bureaucrat who didn't want to discuss the matter.

I was firm. I was adamant that as far as I was concerned I had acted always according to the law and in total good faith.

I was also adamant the since LTSA were aware that there was a discrepancy between the hubo and odo reading for some four years before the hubo finally folded, they were being less than communicative in not informing me of this discrepancy. There is nothing in the legislation, I said, that indicates that the owner of this class of vehicle is responsible for monitoring hubodometer accuracy.

I have received no reply.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

I wait with bated breath.
 #68033  by petercw
 Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 am
When we 1st bought our MH I noticed the Hubo was not the same as the speedo so checked out that they had been recorded as shown with the NZ Transport during the COF, all well, specially that there was some very large numbers invloved, however working on the principal that you lost about 6kms per 100kms - speedo to hob, I worked out that over 400,000kms that the reading was probably close on the hub, however one day I noticed that the 500kms we had just done was only showing 60kms - how long had this being going on- sooooo..... went to work to get a new hubo with sweat running down my brow..... In the end the NZ transport RUC dept decided that they would only hit me for $147 plus a new hubometer, I paid and ran...
chrs
still sweat abit about it
Peter.
 #68075  by Rosemary&Peter
 Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 pm
Lucky, lucky Peter!!!!

I paid about the same when I discovered my hubo had died....obviously didn't run fast enough!!!

Rosemary.
 #68738  by Johndrake
 Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 pm
We certainly do operate our diesel kilometres from our speedo and have an exemption from having a hubodometer. I am not aware of the process that Andrew Fink went through to achieve that on our Allisee However, when I am next talking to Andrew in person I will ask him what is involved. We are certainly appreciative of not having our wheel trims cut to install the unit. I am also aware that many motorhomers do experience problems with hubodometers.
 #71245  by Dean&Tarn
 Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:56 pm
A guy told us we needed a log book to record the hubo readings everytime we went travelling. Is that correct?? We've had our HB for 5 months.
Pay with Paymate Express