#144091  by vansvilla
 Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 pm
Based on the comment above, how many people on here with converted buses or trucks have the letter K on their registration label?
That is to say, have had their vehicles changed to a Motor home.
 #144095  by BUSRSQ
 Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am
I dont see why a 3500kg+ Motorhome is any different than a 3500kg+ truck,bus. same running gear, should be at the same maintenance level as any other heavy vehicle, should have the same COF has any other heavy and pay the same RUC.
They use the same roads as everyone else so should pay the same amount to use said roads.
 #144096  by William
 Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 am
Its all because of NZTA ruleing and Motorhomes and the likes are not classed in a different catagory than any other vehicle on the road.Only registed as such but no allowance for change when it comes to fees.NZTA people probably dont own any of what we have.The only way for a change and bring down the govnt transport fees etc is for legislation to be changed.It is well over due. Everyone needs to write to the Minister of Transport to have consultation on this.Im sure with all our signing or how ever it gets done,we would soon have change.They need to reconise that Motorhomes,Camper Vans,and Buses are all in a class of their own.Esspeicaly professionaly built ones,and can prove they will never carry the manufacture's VGM.Even with the VGM that was original for the vehicle,since assembly to a motorhome from bare chassis and cab,it now has "design changes" far different than it was ever built for at the manufacture's factory.The motorhome body can not be classed as a "Payload".We need a perminant legislation change.Im sure other countries have this,cause it makes common sence,instead of us all getting ripped off everytime we have to pay our high fees.We dont own heavy contractors trucks or buses that need to be classed as a company passenger bus. There must be someone who knows how to go about this.Look at how many of us there are in this country,Im sure there is ample room for change for the good of everyone.Someone reading this may know, instead of holding onto the old legislation.
 #144104  by NeilV
 Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:19 pm
BUSRSQ wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am
I dont see why a 3500kg+ Motorhome is any different than a 3500kg+ truck,bus. same running gear, should be at the same maintenance level as any other heavy vehicle, should have the same COF has any other heavy and pay the same RUC.
They use the same roads as everyone else so should pay the same amount to use said roads.
I have no issue paying for the weight I do put on the road, but my 10T gvm puts me into the 9-12T category, and my chance of ever breaking even 8T is slim to none, let alone ever coming close to 9T...
so I’m paying $40/1000km above my actual weight class just because (with the original seats-now removed, and the original passenger ability - also removed) I drive a vehicle that (once) could carry ‘up to’ 10T?

40% more is not really ‘fair’ and I’m happy for my GVM to be downgraded to 8T but there’s no chance of that being possible now so... NOT fair then is it?

They were very eager to downgrade my passenger carrying ability (and force a seatbelt install) but won’t let me downgrade the ‘potential’ weight ability because they would lose money on it \_0_/

Make more sense now @Bursq ?
 #144114  by vansvilla
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:07 am
Well said Neil.
That is something I have advocated and put forward right from the beginning when the RUC changes were being discussed.
Trucks and buses converted to Motor homes should have been changed to the Letter K on their reg label.
For me back in 2002 this meant cheaper registration but it also indicated to VTNZ /LTSA etc that I was a Motor home.
My writings on this went on to say that we should then be able to specify a weight for RUC purposes, in my case 8 ton instead of 12. A good saving.
How to police it? Easy every time you go for a COF the vehicle is weighed, the inspector just checks actual weight against RUC weight on the label and passes or fails with an Audit to follow in that case.
There are a few who will try and Game the system, nominate a lower weight and make sure they never go for a COF with full tanks and their lunch box but the random roadside weigh bridge checks or the fear of them will help prevent that.
 #144120  by BUSRSQ
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm
So ideally we will have on board scales, sending the information over the mobile network, weighing the vehicles as we drive( also hooked to GPS for when we are not on public roads) then deducting our roadusers from our account instantanilly :)
 #144124  by NeilV
 Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:18 pm
Nah, as Vansvilla said, roadside checks should easily catch any ‘abusers’ just like they catch ‘naughty’ truckers... and when I’m prepared to pay for 9T (and only weigh in at 7.4) how likely am I to ever be an ‘abuser’ anyway :roll:
Pay with Paymate Express