Here you may engage in casual Chit-Chat on any subject that does not relate directly to motorhoming.
Forum rules: The usual standards of respect, decency and consideration for others are expected even though this forum will be less rigorously moderated.
 #154219  by Nut17
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm
After suffering a really fast onslaught of hip pain over the last month or six weeks, I have in the last week seen my doctor, had X Rays and today had my urgency "Assessment" done at the Physiotherapy department at Hastings Hospital. Without any attempt to make my condition appear any worse than reality the physiotherapist who put me through the hour long (and bloody painful) assessment procedure came up with an urgency rating of 69 and the threshold for the next step is 60, so I am well in for a hip joint replacement in the next 12 months ( Current urgent waiting time) :( However, this is not a life threatening condition and there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
We cancelled our health insurance three years ago - as when you get to the stage of needing it - it then becomes un-affordable :roll:
 #154222  by Rovers
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:27 pm
Right with you there Chris, you won't know yourself once you are fixed, good luck. You're right about the health insurance, we canned ours 6 months ago and lo and behold I had a hip dysplasia on Saturday with a day in ED getting it relocated to then have it happen again on Tuesday , oh for the need for the insurance but ACC have stepped up to the plate and all going well a replacement of the replacement will happen sooner rather than later.

All the best
Lindsay
 #154661  by Zukiwi
 Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:32 pm
Chris you won't know yourself when you've had it. I was doomed for this from the start - my 3 brothers and I now have 8 artificial hips between us. I had my left hip replaced 7 years ago (still had medical insurance then) and although the new joint is fine, the muscle hasn't properly recovered and that leg is a little shorter than it used to be so my gait is limpy and it gets a bit sore. Had right hip replaced in May and it's healing great - it's already stronger than the left and no pain at all. Ironically, the DHB couldn't do my op within their 4 month time limit so farmed it out to the same private hospital I had my first one done at, fortunately with a different surgeon.

Cheers
John
 #154704  by Nut17
 Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:43 am
You are unlucky to have one replacement that is not 100% John. The medical profession certainly has that procedure down to a fine art these days.
The time frame I have been given is more than a little tedious :roll: but as each day goes by I am a day closer to getting it sorted. Still quite a few sleepless nights ahead of me :(
 #154706  by petercw
 Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:51 am
I see someone else is awake at present.. Well I'm going to try to go back to sleep after the helicopter takes off that's currently warning up it's engines.. Must be a am emergency. We're in Taupo NZMCA. Copters just gone. Night.
 #154743  by Zukiwi
 Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:35 pm
Nut17 wrote:You are unlucky to have one replacement that is not 100% John
True, but despite that I'm far better off than I was before that op Chris. And age may have played a part - I was 65 when I had that one done and well into my 70s with the latest.

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express