#142660  by Martine Bal
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:50 pm
I have purchased a Victron easy solar system. Upon receiving the package I realised they do not have an installation manual. HELP!
Could anyone give me good advice please? Does anyone know of an experienced installer in the Otago - Christchurch region?
 #142662  by scubadoo
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 pm
Welcome to the forum.

Victron products are well documented and supported online.
e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=Victron ... lar+system
Which leads to these data sheets for example:
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverter- ... /easysolar

The NZ agents are extremely helpful.
http://www.aeppacific.co.nz/marine-part ... on-energy/
 #142666  by Martine Bal
 Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 pm
Thanks for the links. It is true they have a lot of info online but no manual or quick installation for the easy solar with colourscreen unfortunately. ...
 #143731  by ipearx
 Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:27 am
Hi I've installed the 24V 3000VA EasySolar box in my campervan.

There is an EasySolar manual for the smaller versions of it. It's basically the same for the bigger ones except the size of the inverter. There are manuals for the individual components of the easy solar box. In particular the Inverter and the MPPT controller. Mine came with physical versions of those two manuals.

I wasn't sure of how to physically install the box. Here's a few tips:
- Legally the switch board has to be >1.5m(or something close to that) off the ground even in campervans/RVs. It's common for this rule to be broken.
- Switchboards have to be installed in a way things can't be stored in front of them. So keep that in mind when positioning the box.
- I confirmed with Victron the 24V 3000VA EasySolar boxes can be laid down horizontally. The manual for the small ones says that's OK but airflow is best when vertical.
- Ensure there is enough clearance for airflow around the box and out the sides.
- Put it up high enough so it's easy to access underneath the box. I put mine a bit too low, and now it's almost impossible to get the MC4 connectors off simply due to physical access. Your electrician will appreciate this as well.
- If your solar system is below 120V you can install it yourself. If it's over you have to have an electrician.
- If the solar system is above a certain wattage (240W?), you have to adhere to the solar install regulations. Not a bad idea to adhere to them anyway.
- You aren't legally allowed to install 230V anything. So I had my electrician do that side for me.
- I (my electrician) had to swap out the shore power breaker to be 15A breaker, rather than the 60A breaker it came with. This might be a campervan requirement, I'm not sure.
- I (my electrician) removed two of the breakers on the right and replaced with a solar DC breaker, as I really didn't need 5 circuits, 3 is fine. And I didn't want to install a new breaker box.
- I removed the colour control panel, bought longer cables and put that somewhere else in the campervan. The smaller ones don't have the control panel built in.

Hope that helps! I'm happy to answer any questions. Note I'm not an electrician.
 #143753  by ipearx
 Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 am
How did you go? I realise after I posted that you asked the question a month ago!
Pay with Paymate Express