Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #100702  by cherokee94nz
 Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:27 pm
And next weekend will be a dozen parked here and then we will all get moved on. :roll:
 #110759  by GordonMac
 Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:25 am
There was an item recently in the local paper about Rotorua opening a few more parking spots down by the lake front . I'm not sure why it was news now when the parks have been there for ages.
Here is a link to the item http://tinyurl.com/jghds79

Certainly the messages from the Rotorua council are unclear. On a daily basis I see campers parked up in numerous places and there doesn't seen to be a problem with them doing so. I guess all it would take is for one public servant to turn dictator and the apple cart would be upset so it is important to have something set down in writing.
 #110784  by Brian Stanley
 Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:26 pm
My understanding is that those new parking places are specific to motor homes/caravans and that they are for both day and overnight parking in accordance with the RDC bylaw which states: "No person shall stop, stand or park any caravan, camper vehicle, house bus or mobile home on any road for any continuous period exceeding seven days without the prior written consent of Council."

When I made inquiries with RDC as to whether the parking for up to 7 days included living in the vehicle for up to 7 days I was advised yes, this is what it means. If you want to exceed 7 days you must apply to the council and in all probability will not get such approval unless there was a really good reason for needing to do this.

I would also suggest we do not abuse the privilege by using up the 7 days on a regular basis as this will most likely start back chat that could lead to a with hunt. In any event there is a perfectly good NZMCA Park at Ngongotaha where our members can stay for 21 days in any 60 day period. There are plenty of good shops in Ngongotaha plus there is a good bus service to Rotorua plus you can cycle on a cycle track all the way to Rotorua.
 #110795  by GordonMac
 Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:02 pm
As mentioned before , mixed messages.

Motorhome parking

There are two locations for day time motorhome parking in Rotorua and are only a minute's walk from the inner city.

Hinemoa Street - near the Polynesian Spa.
Off Lakefront Drive - behind the Soundshell between the building and Lake Rd.

http://www.rdc.govt.nz/our-services/par ... fault.aspx
 #110798  by Derb
 Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:14 am
When we are passing through with the van and wishing to use the CBD we use the large sandy hard-standing area between the town hall/convention center and the Q.E. hospital adjacent to the large entrance way to the gardens/sports area. I dont know that I would wish to camp there due to the geothermal damage which would be likely to occur to vehicles over an extended period.
 #110815  by muffin
 Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:53 am
I'm not understanding how an LA can designate approved camping areas and still remain compliant with the FC Act. :?:
 #111141  by muffin
 Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:12 am
As in Marlborough...

"Having designated freedom camping sites "worked for Marlborough".

"You either ban it or allow it and control it, which council has chosen." Really....? :cry:
 #121605  by Mark
 Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:34 pm
Further to this thread and prompted by by a question on how LAs get awarded MHF status I have again looked at the Rotorua Lakes DC bylaws.

When RLDC negotiated with the NZMCA over 18 months ago, Bruce Lochore reported that their Traffic bylaw was to be amended.
2 months after MHF status was awarded the bylaw remained un-altered, reading:
21 Caravans I camper vehicles
21.1 No person shall stop, stand or park any caravan, camper vehicle, house bus or mobile home on any
road for any continuous period exceeding seven days without the prior written consent of Council.
21.2 No person is permitted to use a caravan, camper vehicle, house bus or mobile home parked in
accordance with clause 21.1 as a place of sleeping accommodation.
Now, more than a year on, the RLDC have still not got around to meeting their obligations by altering their bylaw along the lines agreed with NZMCA

It seems that the Council have secured promotion from NZMCA through both the magazine and the MHF website without giving anything concrete in return (my point being, without a change to their bylaw, they can, on a whim, recommence moving people into "designated camping grounds").

See here for a post on the subject from over a year ago. http://www.nzmotorhome.co.nz/NZMotorhom ... =16#p97276
Pay with Paymate Express