Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #114754  by Andycap
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:21 pm
Ha !! Karavana , you obviously do let all those that are homeless, and living in there cars use your home and motorhome facilities too then eh ? The mind boggles at this suggestion ! Just my 2c worth .
 #114755  by Holistic Palace
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:23 pm
KARAVANA
What is stopping you from volunteering your own van, for the public to use, then reporting back here how you got on
Surely a trail of a few weeks would be the go

Meet your own challenge head on!! :TU :TU
 #114758  by KARAVANA
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:28 pm
I have, no big deal.
Mavora lakes two weeks ago, toilets are there already we let them use the shower after they got muddy pushing out a mud bound bomb. Three showers all up.
Brilliant weather but very cold overnight.

$6 bucks to stay at Mavora Lakes per person for a long drop, but unfortunately these young ones didn't like using them so I gave them a part can of disinfectant spray and suggested politely they kept something between their arse and New Zealand at all times.
 #114759  by Zukiwi
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 pm
Sorry I just don't get your drift. You're suggesting that CSC motorhomers should let non-CSC travellers use their toilets, etc. But then describe your own contribution as letting someone use your shower. Well showers don't feature in self-containment; it's about fresh water supply and waste water containment. Ultimately our individual endurance is determined by the capacity of our tanks. If we allow others to use them, we may be reducing our ability to meet the mandatory need of 3 days imposed by the standard.

So, your beneficent provision of showers for the muddy campers didn't address the SC issue (they could have jumped in the lake to clean up which would have been no colder than they bog they'd been in). And their apparent reluctance to use the public toilets already provided just demonstrates the nature of the problem that the country faces. If I understand your comment about the disinfectant spray correctly (and I'm not sure I do) again that's wrong. If they have to crap in the bush (as distinct from choosing to do so when adequate toilets are available) they need to bury it into the organic soil layer and certainly not disinfect their leavings, to avoid killing off the very microbes and bugs that will break them down.

Cheers
John
 #114760  by ThomasW
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:28 pm
Where in New Zealand is further then say three hours from a dump station?.... The mandatory three days storage just seems to be excessive. The standards need to be made as flexible and affordable as possible while maintaining hygiene standards. The more people with on-board toilets, the lower the incentive to use the bushes. Sure a few lazy, gross people would always still go bush... but any reduction is better then no reduction. People would always freedom camp, people would always freedom camp in vans, cars and tents. The attempts to ban, fine and force them into specific areas is not working, and not going to work. Any option to contain 'waste' in a hygienic way inside such a vehicles is a positive step. There is no real need for three days storage. Very few public roads in NZ are further then a hour from a toilet or three from a dump station.
 #114761  by KARAVANA
 Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:55 pm
Sorry John I didn't make myself clear.

The spray was to help clean the pee off the seat and kill the stench in the old -push, pinch and splash- style bog.

So then NIMBY cant be used to describe any group who oppose giving free services to first world tourists travelling a first world country voluntarily on the cheap.
 #114788  by NeilV
 Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:12 pm
Although there may be a dump site within 3 hours of [almost] anywhere my bus gets 4km/l and thus 100-300 kms to a dump cost me roughly $25-$75 each way. Since I rarely manage more than the three day minimum when not supplementing the loo with outside facilities, why on earth should I have to make daily trips out from the edge of nowhere just cos some other camper can't/won't afford a $150 portaloo???

Sorry but even if they don't go CSC, $150 for their own toilet is really a minimal outlay, and shouldn't be a 'barrier' to anyone hoping to save $50/night in accomodation. Throw in a $10 (10-20l) bottle of fresh water and you have a basic CSC camp-mobile... Even the smallest Tardis style sleepercar could find the space for these and solve their own issues. Since they will use the water straight over the ground anyway (cooking and cleaning) they don't even need grey water collection. All they need is a shower facility available within (your quoted) 100kms, or a local stream/pond/river (and we have those EVERYWHERE, and they are now capable of being clean and hygenic campers. All for a measly $150-$200 (the big water bottle is easily refillable at dump or public facilities).

Let them pay their own fuel, few will be wanting to stay still for more than three days anyway...
Job done!
Pay with Paymate Express