Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #121983  by Mark
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:57 pm
Their bylaw does not look like an FCA bylaw. It is part (section 8) of a Consolidated bylaw.
They claim, in the penalties section, that they can use the FCA infringement regime, so maybe it is.
http://www.hauraki-dc.govt.nz/assets/co ... Safety.pdf

Bylaw
The bylaw is silent on a default position: they neither say FC is allowed nor that it is prohibited.
They present Schedule 10 where all prohibited sites are listed. One is listed, being the southern end of Ray's Rest.
They then present Schedule 11 where all Restricted sites are listed. One is listed being the northern end of Ray's Rest.

That is IT.
It doesn't appear that very much effort has gone into this.

Policy
http://www.hauraki-dc.govt.nz/our-distr ... edom-camp/
Restricted Sites for Freedom Camping
Our freedom camping sites are available for a maximum one-night or two-night stay in any calendar month, as indicated by the onsite signage. Please adhere to these limits so that many people have a chance to camp there. Check the signs for other special conditions, too.

Rays Rest, Kaiaua
The reserve is off East Coast Road, approximately 4.5 km south of Kaiaua township and adjacent to the Firth of Thames.

Designated Freedom Camping Sites and Dump Stations within the Hauraki District
Hauraki District Council Area Office, Ngatea
Dump station plus carparks available for one overnight stay.
The site is located behind the Council Area Office off Orchard West Road, Ngatea.

Hauraki District Council Area Office carpark, Paeroa
Carparks available for one overnight stay - only to be used between the hours of 6pm Friday evening and 7pm Sunday evening.
The carpark is located on Marshall Street, Paeroa.
They also mention the Railway Reserve, Paeroa
"Dump station plus carparks available as per the Council signage at the site.
A facilities fee of $5 per vehicle per night is charged, which must be prepaid at the Caltex service station in Belmont Road.
The site is located on Marshall Street, Paeroa.

Please note that freedom camping (includes tenting) is not permitted on Council reserves (grass areas) adjacent to the carparks listed above."

So the Policy still makes no statement on whether FC is allowed or not allowed in the district. Since they make mention of "Designated FC Sites", it would be reasonable to assume that it is forbidden elsewhere.

I give Hauraki 1.5 stars for this effort.
[Edit: I have had to revise this down to 1. The reasons are posted a few posts below this one]

Pluses
Umm ......
They do allow three sites (in their entire district)

Minuses
They fail to state "Yes you can" or "No you can't" as their default position - so visitors just don't know.
They restrict stays to 2 nights a month.
FC is prohibited on all Council reserves (apart from Ray's Rest).

The council is one of the "Stars" of the Motorhome Friendly Towns scheme, with Paeroa being a founder member. :roll:
 #121984  by Mark
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:05 pm
Also....
I'd like to know precisely what this means:
Railway Reserve overnight parking
(A maximum stay of two consecutive nights in any one calendar month applies)
Any takers?
 #121985  by WoodyZ
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:13 pm
Looks like it means that if you stay for two nights in a row, that's it for the month. However if you only stay one night then go away for the next night, you can come back and stay another night and so on and so on allowing some 15 or 16 nights in any calendar month.

Poorly worded by some idiot in council employ is my guess and ratified by more idiots voted in by some of the ratepayers.
 #121999  by petercw
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:59 pm
Seems to me, as with quite a few council's, that they don't understand the value of CSC motorhomers to their overall income in their counties.
To me it seems they just want us to go away. :(
 #122000  by Mark
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:11 pm
WoodyZ wrote:Looks like it means that if you stay for two nights in a row, that's it for the month. However if you only stay one night then go away for the next night, you can come back and stay another night and so on and so on allowing some 15 or 16 nights in any calendar month.
That's what I thought, Neil - although you could stay two nights in a row (and continue with alternate nights) as long as the two nights were either side of the end of a month :mrgreen:
 #122001  by Mark
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:12 pm
petercw wrote:Seems to me, as with quite a few council's, that they don't understand the value of CSC motorhomers to their overall income in their counties.
To me it seems they just want us to go away. :(
Can't be the case, Peter: They're "Motorhome Friendly" :-T
 #122004  by WoodyZ
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:07 pm
Mark wrote:That's what I thought, Neil - although you could stay two nights in a row (and continue with alternate nights) as long as the two nights were either side of the end of a month :mrgreen:
Good point Mark, I missed that.

Of course, their intent might be that if you stay for one night you have to stay for two, as in a compulsory minimum of two nights.

My high school English teacher would never have countenanced such sloppy sentence structure, come to think of it, my long departed mum wouldn't have either.
 #122005  by Mark
 Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 pm
No Wait.
My 1.5 stars was awarded, in part, because I was giving them the benefit of the doubt over not declaring their default position: either FC prohibited or FC allowed.

I've just realised that, because they claim to have access to the FCA infringement regime, we can't give them the benefit of the doubt.

Since they haven't declared their position, we have to guess. But if we decide stay overnight and it turns out we guessed wrong - it's going to cost us $200.
So we have to assume that they have a blanket ban in place (apart from the 3 designated sites), otherwise we'll be pinged.

So I have to revise my star rating back to 1.
Pay with Paymate Express