Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #71668  by FlyingKiwiGirl
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 pm
The two indicated sites look like the ones that the girl behind the counter at Mt Bruce sent us to further back up the road towards Eketahuna, one is a small rest area behind some bushes- too small for us & looked dirty & noisy(right on the road) The other was an open area north of the memorial bridge- ok but exposed to passing traffic & not ideal for our rig either. There was definitely no camping in or around the entrance to the reserve even though there was a nice quiet area down the end of the carpark along a unkempt drive to an unused area of the centre. Would have been good security for them.

I'd be keen if somebody could show me a photo of the actual areas they are saying are ok, because from memory there was no entrances into the reserve before the main one when you're heading south :?
 #71677  by Zukiwi
 Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 pm
Hi Shellie. Both the sites are in the Mt Bruce DOC reserve carparks on the E side of the highway. If you have a look at the DOC map in satellite view you will see them both marked. The northernmost one is in the N end of the main entrance carpark. The southern one is several hundred metres to the S in the small carpark by the waterfowl aviary. Take it from someone who worked there, albeit 50 years ago ;)

Despite the advice given to Gingernutty, I can't see the gazette notice for these sites as restricted FC in the DOC list at http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... wellington. I don't think it has been replaced after having "dropped off" the page (I'm struggling to visualise something "dropping of" a cyberspace page without someone giving it a good pull :-| ). Maybe another FC site that DOC is less-than enthusiastic to let the public know about?

Cheers
John
 #71679  by Gingernutty
 Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 am
FlyingKiwiGirl wrote:
I'd be keen if somebody could show me a photo of the actual areas they are saying are ok, because from memory there was no entrances into the reserve before the main one when you're heading south :?
The beauty of Google maps Street view :)
The other area indicated is South of the main entrance, not North.
 #71686  by FlyingKiwiGirl
 Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:57 am
Unfortunately I can't spend too long reviewing this map & that- I'm chewing through my data like there's no tomorrow just doing my own thing! :D But as I said to Gingernutty(I should check in here first ;) ) in a PM- The whole main carpark area has been beautified and re-landscaped and the buildings added onto- looking now like a flash tourist destination. I doubt very much that they'll allow vans to overnight in there. I can't recall seeing any other entrances although we only had a half-hearted look after being told "no camping" at Mt Bruce . Look forward to the someone actually sorting it out "live".
 #71736  by Zukiwi
 Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:54 pm
Gingernutty wrote:It's not in the Wellington region, it's listed under Hawkes Bay.
Absolutely right Gingernutty and thanks for that steer. Now, given the regional choices (Hawkes Bay or Kapiti/Wellington), wouldn't you expect to find a place in the Wairarapa listed under the latter, as is the not-too far away Castlepoint?
Gingernutty wrote:The other area indicated is South of the main entrance, not North.
I said it was to the south.
FlyingKiwiGirl wrote:I doubt very much that they'll allow vans to overnight in there. I can't recall seeing any other entrances although we only had a half-hearted look after being told "no camping" at Mt Bruce . Look forward to the someone actually sorting it out "live".
Shellie: as stated they do allow vans in there for restricted FC. Apart from the evidence you've just been provided, I helped negotiate the site originally. It is sorted. But "sometimes" these questions also need "someone" else to sort it out. Call DOC.

Cheers
John
Pay with Paymate Express