#17233  by Laurence
 Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:18 pm
Hi everyone. I have a Mikuni MY 85-2 heater built in to our 9mt Mitsubishi Fuso. Does anyone know anything about this model. I have been fueling the unit with Kerosene, (not readily available) since we bought the bus in 2002 and it has worked fine, but I wondered whether I could fire it on Diesel, (obviously due to availability).
The reason I fired it with Kero was simply that when we first bought the bus it had a small amount of fuel in the tank (which is separate to the vehicle's main diesel tank) and it didn't smell like diesel so I presumed it was Kero. Mikuni UK website makes no mention of Kero fired heaters.

Ours looked nothing like the diesel heaters on Mikuni's site (similar to the Escerbachers), it is much bigger and is a burner unit and separate fuel tank.

Being a 'non' mechanic, is anyone able to throw any light on this, or suggest someone that i can talk to. We live in Greenhithe on Auckland's North shore. Cheers. Laurence
 #94227  by StephenD
 Fri May 29, 2015 7:45 pm
Just thought i would add this to help anyone who is running this heater... I am assuming that Lawrence has long since either solved the problem or replaced his heater..

I have the same Mikumi MY 85-2 heater in my Nissan bus.. and after a couple of email exchanges with www.mikuniheating.com listed in this post.. i decided to try running mine on diesel instead of kero..

The advice from the company above was that '"it should work - depends on how it has been setup - but worst case is it will just puff black smoke"

I decided to try it.. so when the kero ran out.. I added just 5 litres of diesel thinking that I can always drain it out if it doesnt work..

Result: It works a treat.. the diesel is way less smelly than the kero was.. and price-wise is a real bonus.. At $1.30 ltr compared to $4.50 ltr for kero (even when you can get it in bulk) or almost $10 ltr at most retail outlets..

Just be careful that you turn the burner off BEFORE you cut the power.. and let the blower disperse the rest of the heat before cutting off.. otherwise you will get a lot of black smoke coming from under your vehicle- like happened to us the first time.. :-)

Good luck and happy travelling.. :-)
 #94254  by BUSRSQ
 Sat May 30, 2015 3:24 pm
Just to add to this, I have the same heater in a bus that we run on the mountain, I have used diesel in it for about 10 years and and as long as you let it cool down after use, you will never have an issue,
I have replaced the original one with a later model but essentially exactly the same,I also dismantled and rebuilt the unit ( was not a lot to it)
 #95191  by NeilV
 Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 pm
I just bought an older one off trademe (not yours bursq?) and the wiring is cut off right at the unit... Anyone have a wiring diagram that's not Japanese, or able to tell me how to connect up the unit will earn Huge thanks from me ASAP, as the chill is building now and the bus is cold outside the bedroom beating each morning! :roll:
 #95199  by BUSRSQ
 Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:26 am
Nope not mine, I have the old unit in storage to use for Parts,
It does have its full wiring though
Also I doubt you will find a non Japanese wiring diagram as these were only ever installed in vehicles in Japan
 #95208  by NeilV
 Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:03 am
Don't need the whole units wiring, but if you have the whole harness, and can tell me which of the six wires go where, I'll be set :D

Just looking at how to hook it up really?
 #95216  by BUSRSQ
 Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 pm
there is a wiring diagram on the inside of the service flap, You should be able to figure it out from that
Pay with Paymate Express