Forum rules: Each member may post travel stories to their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these stories are entertaining and snappy. You may include a FEW pics to illustrate your story. Please don't use this as a platform for your photo albums: they are best put in (say) Picasa with a link.
 #158400  by Nut17
 Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 pm
Just one week from tomorrow, on Feb 5th we head off on the first leg of our 3.5 month annual South Island Meander. We will be crossing on Monday 10th. The will be a good shake down trip for the new Elddis :-T ;) A lot less storage than the monster Jayco we previously had so some careful decisions on whet we need to take with us and what we can survive without!
 #158430  by hort1
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Not long at all Chris. So about what date will you be returning to the North Island? We may be down there late April early may.
 #158432  by petercw
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:50 pm
We've sold, packed into storage, and on our way to the deep South starting next week.. plan a.. head towards the South..plan b return May or June.. new house build starts in May and this is the start of everything as it's a lock up retirement home that's to await our retirement as we come and go over the next 10 years. :D
 #158433  by Nut17
 Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:58 pm
hort1 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Not long at all Chris. So about what date will you be returning to the North Island? We may be down there late April early may.
We need to be back by mid April as my hip replacement has been approved and scheduled for late April. I need to be on the right side of the ditch in case I get summoned to take a cancellation :-T
 #158441  by vansvilla
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:29 am
We started Jan 9., gotten as far as Tapawera for the Music in the Mountains rally.
You would be in a good time period to check out the Classic boats regatta at Lake Rotoiti, the real one down at St Anaud.
You can overnight next to the Dine Hard Cafe and Classic boat museum, $10 per night. Big gravel area. Public Dump Station down by the DOC camp, Kerr Bay.
For any of you travelling over, the NPD self serve fuel, Diesel & 91 in Picton has or had very good fuel prices, for the South Island, we were very pleasantly surprised , coupled with the Kiwifuel Card was excellent.
 #158445  by Nut17
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:36 pm
Our first activity after crossing is to park up at The Dine Hard Cafe for a night then traverse the Rainbow Station Road to Hanmer Springs (leaving the van at St Arnaud). Ater a quick lunch at Hanmer, will then travel back to the van via The Lewis Pass.
 #158446  by mattn
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm
As I read the first bit I was thinking...... "That's a bit ambitious with your new van" .....

Fuelwise there is a new NPD at Springs Junction with reasonable prices (and a dump station, but you won't be needing that). Mobil in Murch has got a bit more reasonable with their prices since the NPD opened though.
 #158451  by Andycap
 Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:22 pm
Hi ,we traversed Lewis pass to Nelson and back a few weeks ago ,over new year , NO dump station at NPD Springs Junction that we could see ,despite what the website says and diesel was horrendously expensive .unless you have their card ,even dearer :o :shock: actually at Richmond (Nelson )NPD despite there head office being there .The price war continues at Christchurch ,cheapest fuel in South Island at the mo. Npd and Waitomo head to head .
Enjoy your extended break Chris .
Pay with Paymate Express