Forum rules: Each member may post travel stories to their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these stories are entertaining and snappy. You may include a FEW pics to illustrate your story. Please don't use this as a platform for your photo albums: they are best put in (say) Picasa with a link.
 #159802  by Nut17
 Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm
With the weather on the West Coast looking fairly settled over the next week or so, we made a snap decision yesterday morning and after using the dump station at Alexandra (previous 3 nights at Clyde including my second visit to Highland Park), we headed West and went right through to Haast and camped behind the Honey / Gift Store. Nice quiet spot with a donation to St Johns Ambulance Service as payment. This morning we drove to the small settlement/ fishing village at the bottom of Jackson Bay, and after a leisurely lunch meandered back up the coast to Franz Joseph NZMCA Park. Will spend two nights here.
Attachments
IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5213.JPG
IMG_5212.JPG
IMG_5156.JPG
IMG_5154.JPG
IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5146.JPG
IMG_5145.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG
IMG_5137.JPG
IMG_5114.JPG
IMG_5105.JPG
IMG_5101.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG
 #159804  by hort1
 Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:35 pm
I will be interested to hear what you think of your trip through there Chris. We are thinking of doing the same when we are down there but am a bit hesitant due to what the weather will be like in May, maybe better in summer months?
 #159805  by Nut17
 Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 pm
Highland Park is a great wet weather visit. Unless you want a quick ride around the track and the wet would spoil that. I spent two hours in the museum - Stunning displays and history of NZ Motorsport. :TU Great coffee shop too !
 #159899  by Nut17
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 pm
Well we enjoyed three stunning days on the Coast, but due to the possibility that Interislander sailings may be compromised by Covid19 we are making our way back North way ahead of schedule. We enjoyed two nights at the Franz Joseph NZMCA Park - what a cracker, and then hit the road yesterday, spending last night at the DOC camp at Lake Pearson, then on down to Weedons NZMCA Park this morning. 2 deg and rain on Porters Pass !.
I will attempt to arrange a change to our crossing date - hopefully Friday or Saturday this week.
Went into Apollo Motorhomes today to test drive the Winnebago Iluka and choose our colour schemes. Looks like it is all go for a September delivery.
Attachments
IMG_5220.JPG
Franz Joseph NZMCA Park
IMG_5233.JPG
Good rear clearance.
IMG_5227.JPG
This is it!!
 #159906  by Derb
 Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 am
We are going up that road right now with attempting to change our travel plans. I am supposed to cross Sth on the 5th and come back on the 31st with Alison flying down Good Friday and flying home on 25th. Don’t like my chances getting refunds from either carriers and deferred use of the tickets is bugger all use when annual leave situation is fixed with workmates years in advance. No one goes to the Sth island for a weeks holiday from up here🙄. Still - in the bigger picture this virus can take companies/countries down financially so we are small potatoes. Cheers.
 #159907  by Nut17
 Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 am
Good luck with your challenges for today. Who ever thought that we might need travel insurance for Cook Strait crossings?
Clear blue sky in Christchurch this morning with frost on vehicles and the outside temp on my caravan temp gauge reading 2 deg. English caravan insulation and efficient heating system have ensured that we are NOT suffering :) ;)
Pay with Paymate Express