Forum rules: Each member may post travel stories to their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these stories are entertaining and snappy. You may include a FEW pics to illustrate your story. Please don't use this as a platform for your photo albums: they are best put in (say) Picasa with a link.
 #164444  by Nut17
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:27 am
I have now been through that road three times Earl. All of them in a 4WD vehicle. I am very impressed that you got your rigs through. There was a section between the Nevis Township and Garston that would have been a real problem for you in more recent years - A deeply rutted very boggy section about 50 metres long that could not be avoided and was a challenge, even for 4WD vehicles. I am pleased to see that you did not attempt the Pylon Track from Clyde to the Bannockburn Road at the start of the Nevis, with one very steep rocky section - I you went from Clyde you would have had a scary descent, but would not have got back the other way ;)
 #164445  by earle woods
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am
hi.. thanks for your reply.. in hind sight & immediately after completing that great venture we realized the prior weather conditions & fulton hogan maintenance assisted our ability to make it thru, twice we have tried to redo the trip & failed because of the weather .... we have done the trip from clyde to bannockburn as well, though not in our motorhome... cheers for now
 #164447  by Tweeny
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:41 am
Guys, I remember reading about this adventure a year or so after doing it in my hugely respected G16 Vitara (the current toad, Grand Vitara, isn’t a patch on it off-road) . It was an instant decision to “have a look for an hour” while driving Wakatipu to Southland. Knew of the road from maps. Parked Tweeny behind Garson fire station and off over the Hector range. Found Chris’s bog hole. Not on our own, we wouldn’t! Somebody had struck off downstream, better ground. Followed. Slid down a steep-and-greasy Into the river. Wheee! Realised we were going to Bannockburn. Then back around Frankton to Garson. Memorable, enjoyable adventure. The REALLY STUPID bit was that we had told nobody what we were doing!!! The Nevis is cellphone black hole. Dangerous.
 #164459  by Skiwi
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:08 am
Great video, thanks for sharing :)

This is my backyard and have done the road at least 20 times over the years in several 4x4s, enduro bike, adventure bike, road bike and a hillman hunter.

IMHO - These days I would never attempt to go all the way through in my bus, even during summer as even after they have done maintenance it remains significantly rough in patches and the insides of my bus would resemble a salad tosser after a few of the river crossings if you could get through.

You could however drive in for some distance from each end without to much drama and the landscapes are worth the effort.

Cheers
Skiwi
 #164460  by earle woods
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:40 am
really great that so many have ventured into this magic place... not long after our trip thru it was touted that the upper nevis might be turned into a lake for electricity, hope that didn't happen... cheers
 #164466  by Rovers
 Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:25 pm
Went through the Nevis back in January, 2x 4X4 and to be honest I would no way take a motor home through, she's pretty rough in places and some of the wet bits are pretty deep. You might manage to get through but help is a long way away.

Cheers
Lindsay
Pay with Paymate Express