Motorhomes "on the road". Routes, destinations, POP's, Activities, Employment etc
Forum rules: When posting images, please post only thumbnails that link to your image. This can be achieved using the "Message Board" option in PostImage.
Moderators may remove any images that do not conform with this request without notice.
This is in consideration of those members who have small data caps :-)
 #137018  by Nut17
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 pm
For those who have travelled these two routes I am after some advice. We will be travelling in a convoy of three 4WD vehicles and have decided to leave our caravans at the Blenheim Racecourse - Get an early start and drive down to Seddon and then through the Molesworth to Hanmer Springs - Overnight in Hanmer then drive the Rainbow Station Road to St Arnaud then on down the Wairau Valley back to Blenheim the following day.

Are we being a little ambitious? Is it better to drive these roads north - south or vice-versa? If the roads are open we are looking at February 19th / 20th for our adventure.

Cheers
Chris
 #137020  by vansvilla
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:20 pm
It's a nice round trip Chris. We did it some years ago, left the bus in Blenheim, up to lake Rotoitit thence to Hammer via the rainbow Rd, overnight in Hammer and return via Molesworth.
I don't think it matters too much which way you do it.
I'm reasonably confident that the Ranger will make it Ok which will be good for you to know with the Jeep should you need some assistance. :o
 #137022  by Nut17
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 pm
Thanks John, that is very reassuring :) We will have to keep our convoy well spaced no doubt due to the dust. I will have my tow strop handy to make sure the BT 50 and Ranger manage to struggle through :)

Cheers
Chris
 #137023  by FlyingKiwiGirl
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:20 pm
The Ranger will do it just fine mate! :)
I think you're doing it the right way round because you''ll have all the easy stuff out of the way on the first day and will be roaring and reading to attack the tough stuff out on the 2nd day. Just be prepared for a bloody long and dusty Awatere Valley road, it seems to go on and on forever. And it will all be extremely dusty. Don't forget to have your money ready to pay at the end of the Rainbow.
 #137026  by vansvilla
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:34 pm
Haha, wouldn't be the first time I've seen a jeep pushing another truck with a rigid strop :TU
Pay with Paymate Express