#153189  by scubadoo
 Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 pm
Purely for comparison ipearx. Solar c800W. Battery pack 3.9 kWh nominal.
Whangarei - some overcast every day and the occasional heavy shower . Yesterday was the first day full for the week.

Backwards from yesterday kWh
 #153198  by NeilV
 Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 pm
How do you see your ‘daily’ generation?
My Tracer just seems to have a ‘cumulative’ count ..
 #153200  by scubadoo
 Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:00 pm
My Victron solar controller stores the last 30 days worth of data. It accumulates automagically to one of my spreadsheets via Bluetooth.
Many "smart" devices can communicate with each other through often proprietary bus networks. Victron utilise VE.Direct and VE.Bus protocols.

Daily numbers can look like this for example Neil.
Screenshot_20190719-210458_CSV Modify.jpg
 #155869  by ipearx
 Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:29 pm
NeilV wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:58 pm
If you’re talking lead Acid (AGM/Gel etc) get a DVSR and use your built in ‘generator’! (Alternator of the van)
Even without the bonus every time you drive(!) running your engine in place for a half hour will give you 30-120AH ([email protected] or [email protected])
Haha sorry only just saw this post. Unfortunately I've got a 12v van battery and 24v house battery so it's not that simple. Victron have a nice Buck/Boost charger that'll do the job nicely with 50A input (I can do max 60A i.e. ~700W according to the Ford Transit manual), but it's $1300 so haven't quite sprung for that yet. Victron have also just bought out some DC-DC smart battery chargers that can handle Lithium, at $500 but only 360W. Not many other options to go 12-24V and charge Lithium (rather than just a dumb converter). So I know what to do, get one of those, but need time/money to do it. Survived this last winter OK by shore power charging every 4-5 days if needed.
 #155886  by Jennius
 Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:14 pm
What I often find is that people spend lots on solar panels, controllers and batteries, but then use "standard 4mm solar wiring" and wonder why their system doesn't work efficiently. I'd rather invest more into decent cabling, I use 8mm minimum for both pos +Ve and -Ve runs from solar panels to controller. Thicker runs controller to battery and battery to inverter. I don't believe everything I read online but handybobsolar makes a few valid points if you can get past his raving. We only have a small system, running 80l 12v fridge, laptops via 600watt inverter, lights, water pump, 19" tv. But was recently on the road for 3 months with 300watt solar ( 2 x 150 in parallel) and 105amp battery, never got below 60% battery usage and was always full or near full capacity every night.
 #155914  by greynz
 Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:36 pm
Jennius wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:14 pm
What I often find is that people spend lots on solar panels, controllers and batteries, but then use "standard 4mm solar wiring" and wonder why their system doesn't work efficiently. I'd rather invest more into decent cabling, I use 8mm minimum for both pos +Ve and -Ve runs from solar panels to controller. Thicker runs controller to battery and battery to inverter. I don't believe everything I read online but handybobsolar makes a few valid points if you can get past his raving. We only have a small system, running 80l 12v fridge, laptops via 600watt inverter, lights, water pump, 19" tv. But was recently on the road for 3 months with 300watt solar ( 2 x 150 in parallel) and 105amp battery, never got below 60% battery usage and was always full or near full capacity every night.
It would depend on the system though as I don't think there's always much to gain, like on mine with the 4mm cable (panels to controllers) it works out to around 2% voltage drop & maybe 1% better with larger cable so not really gonna make much difference.
 #155934  by Derb
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:44 am
You always gotta remember - “no-one ever moaned about having too-heavy conductors” and often you only get one chance to run the conductors neatly. The few extra bucks spent on heavy cables is quickly forgotten “when” you decide to add solar/generation capacity.
Pay with Paymate Express