Fitting out your motorhome: All the trades
 #135818  by ian430
 Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 am
My friend has a Suzuki Escudo he wants to A-Frame behind his Toyota Rosa Bus, I looked at the rego sticker and it says maximum towing unbraked is 1000kg, the Suzuki weight is 1600kg, this I presume would effect your insurance if you were involved in a accident but I have seen a few of these being towed, will he need to fit a brake system somehow on the Suzuki to be road legal?
 #135823  by BUSRSQ
 Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm
You are correct, he will not be able to legally tow his suzuki unbraked, not just insurance cover as well, if he gets checked by the CVIU he could get fined.
Not sure if there is an easy way of setting up brakes for the suzuki, but i guess it is being done.
Other option would be a braked trailer
 #135825  by vansvilla
 Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 pm
Quite correct, he will be over the drawbar rated tow.
So, there's 3 options open to him,
1 A braked trailer.
2 A braked dolly and
3 A brake system fitted to the vehicle which slaves off the bus brakes,

If you Google "dinghy towing braking systems" you will find some options available. Americans call it dinghy towing :D .
There are also one or two options out of Australia as well.

I can't help but think it's been discussed on here before so use the search function.

There I are of course two more options, leave the vehicle at home :-T or drive both vehicles. We occasionally drive both on short distances or when the road is not the best and a pilot car is useful. 2 way radios help a lot there
Pay with Paymate Express