Fitting out your motorhome: All the trades
 #136181  by nomad99
 Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:08 am
Hi Guys, We are thinking of replacing our old system, B & W. and are getting conflicting reports on reliability of wireless systems. I could pull a new cable through with the old one so hard wire is not a problem.

Would one 120 degree camera be sufficient when backing out of a parallell park in a main st. 6mt van.

Any advise welcome

Nomad 99
 #136185  by Neddy
 Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 pm
Wireless backup cameras can work well, but wired ones always do.
The cable you have already got installed could be all you need, so you may not have to run a new cable. This would make for an easy install.
120° is a good compromise for a back-up camera viewing angle.
I like to have the camera controlled by a switch on the dash, rather than switching on when Reverse is selected as in many installations.
Another good option is to feed the camera output to a large screen (compatible) GPS.
Colour is well worth having. On our old B&W setup, concrete and grass were indistinguishable.
CCD cameras are better than CMOS cameras and cost only a little more.

This topic has been well covered here, see http://www.nzmotorhome.co.nz/NZMotorhom ... 75&p=31608
and http://www.nzmotorhome.co.nz/NZMotorhom ... 58&t=15266 etc.
Use the "Search" function to find many more.

Neville.
 #136199  by BaldEd
 Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:55 pm
I had a colour, wireless (2.4Ghz) system installed when I got my new caravan. It has run flawlessly these past 14 months, 5,500km. Never a loss of signal nor any interference - apparently this system uses a frequency hopping technique similar to that used by current model aircraft radios. The 7" colour monitor (includes the wireless receiver) is of the type that clips over the interior rear view mirror, thus doesn't block view out of the windscreen and is in the normal place where one looks when wanting to see out the back window. Only one lead (12v power) is connected to the monitor/receiver. The monitor screen is reflective so than it can be used as a normal rear view mirror when not towing - just de-power by removing the power lead from the ciggie socket. The camera/transmitter is powered off an ignition circuit wire fed to the caravan through the 12 pin plug. The camera, to my mind, has a slightly too wide field of view. I would have preferred that the camera had a slightly narrower field of view to give a better long range view of traffic approaching from behind. Traffic 100m behind are clearly visible but those 200m or more behind are not so easily detected. The system was moderately expensive. But, all in all, I am pleased with the unit.
 #136200  by Rovers
 Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:26 pm
Bought a wireless camera and monitor off the ONE DAY SALE on the web, 50 bucks, will let you know when we get away what I think of it.
Cheers
Lindsay
Pay with Paymate Express