Fitting out your motorhome: All the trades
 #136586  by pete bennett
 Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm
Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to leave a gas fridge running whilst traveling. We have an English Abbey caravan. I think that it is necessary to extinguish any naked light when entering a tunnel or gas station. Thanks, Pete. :D
 #136587  by Mark
 Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 pm
You will get a variety of replies to this question.
It all depends on how "safe" you want to be. to be really safe - don't leave home.
For us, we used a gas fridge (in a motorhome) over 9 years: in all 24 months on the road. Always traveled with the fridge turned on.
 #136590  by petercw
 Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm
I would think that if you have an accident and the gas is on and it all goes up in flames the insurance company would say thanks but no thanks... Is it worth the risk.. Plus when we forgot to turn it off every now and then we had trouble with it particularly over the rougher trips.. Turn it off for an hour or 2 is not too arduous really for the safety.. :TU
Remember the only problems you have is when you have them.. :D
 #136593  by Romany Rambler
 Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:19 pm
Your English van is more than likely set up already to automatically change over to 12v when travelling and the vehicle will need to be set up to provide the 12v supply while the engine is running. That is why they have two electrical hook ups from the car, one for the fridge. Also they usually isolate all the internal van 12v supply.

Therefore if your tug is setup correctly and the fridge set to AES it will automatically select 12v when you start the engine.

If you wish to run on gas you should check the instructions with fridge as my Dometic RM8555 specifically states not to be run on gas when travelling. If you do and there is an accident, Insurance may have a big say. Check!

Robin
 #136755  by pete bennett
 Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:33 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just leave it turned off. :D Pete.
 #136757  by rawill
 Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm
We did as Robin said above. Excellent solution, especially if on a long trip.

I can see no reason why not to use this set up.

Gas can blow out on the road, hence a potential hazard I guess.
 #136774  by Mark
 Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm
rawill wrote: Gas can blow out on the road, hence a potential hazard I guess.
No: flame sensor will shut the gas supply off.
 #136777  by Holistic Palace
 Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm
No: flame sensor will shut the gas supply off
depends if your unit is an up to date model.
our first motorhome was an 87, when the hob was not shut off properly, the gas kept coming out even tho it was turned off (almost, by the dial) luckily we had a gas detector
Pay with Paymate Express