Fitting out your motorhome: All the trades
 #144177  by judyj61
 Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:54 pm
Hi everyone. Has anyone fitted out a Toyota Hiace van keeping the rear folding seat (for my Grandchild) and obtaining a self containment certificate? I have tried to think how do it keep the folding seats down and used (young children not allowed in front with airbags) and have it self contained for two. I thought of making an width extension to the back bench seat with light mattress for my grandchild to sleep on. I can sort my bed, but stuck on getting sink, grey waste tank etc in the remaining space. Any ideas gratefully received.
Judy
 #144189  by mattn
 Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:21 am
The law does not prevent you putting the child in the front of a vehicle fitted with an Airbag. The 'very strong' recommendations are never put a rear facing seat in a seat with airbags. How old is you grand child? If they are not in a rear facing seat then you can use the front seat. If the child is in a rear facing seat, is it worth the effort for the short time before they are in a booster?

You may find this FACT SHEET and Is also useful useful

Before deciding that the risk of airbags is too high, I suggest you research the facts rather than rely on the generic advice that presumes a back seat with air bag is readily available. The only thing you can reliably state is "Rear seat is safer, use it if you have one" ( which begs the question, why we allow our partners to travel in the front seat beside us.)

There is a lot of scaremongering around this subject, and while not PC to call it out when discussing the safety of children, I am prepared to call it out - the research I found with my children was old then - well over a decade ago now, and the additional risk, while statistically significant, largely not quantifiable because the numbers that were poorly restrained and not in booster seats.

The problem now is all cars have front airbags, so researchers have no base line to compare to results to, and airbags have changed since the early to mid 1990's when the first research was done, so its not possible to apply those findings to modern vehicles.
 #144191  by MG366
 Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:48 am
Have you considered a hammock slung in the cab for junior to allow more space in the rear for general living? That may open up your configuration allowing more room for the loo. Many years ago when we converted a Transit we had a hammock in the cab for the youngest and another in the roof space for number 2 - the vehicle had just been fitted with a roof extension.

Grant
 #144192  by Andycap
 Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:23 am
Hi Judy ,a bit more basic info would be helpfull as there are many sizes ,configurations of Hiace .So, what year Hiace ? ,What size ,short wheelbase ,standard or jumbo? , single sliding side side door or both sides . High roof or standard. ? Auto gearbox with gear lever on dash or Manual with floor gear lever . All makes a lot of differance as to what space you have available .I had a 92` hiace yrs ago and as it was a manual, it was a tight squeeze getting a child in the front middle seat with only a lap belt on and so you could change gears easily .In my current 2009 Hiace automatic with dash mounted shifter it would be far easier to do this for example . . for Andy .
Pay with Paymate Express