Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #94504  by petercw
 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:52 pm
I am hvg difficulty finding out how much download data is going to be used to update to 10, but I think it is 2.9gb...

I hv windows7 sp1 pack and hv the right specs so can do it... but will hold back for now for more comment after the first lot hv commented on the transfer process.
 #94506  by Mark
 Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:11 pm
Peter on the Windows 10 Reservation site there was an FAQ page, one of which gave you the size of the down load. I think your 2.9Gig was about right, although my reading of things is that, once you reserve a copy, then many of the files needed will be downloaded to your device in the background before the end of July so that the final installation is quicker.
 #94512  by petercw
 Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:48 pm
Ok that's good but if yr mthly acc only has abt 3g for the month, like mine, it could be a problem, so I need to know exactly when it's going down so as to switch to my prepay bulk 5Gb data downloader as most of the time I use my 3Gb mthly acc.. see the problem.. I think i will wait til August then buy some extra data GB for it, it's still cheap..if it works :o
 #94533  by petercw
 Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:13 pm
here's where you go 1st

http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-reserve ... tification

If you reserve your copy through this system in the notification tray, Microsoft will preload your device with the upgrade before July 29th so when the day comes you won’t have to waste any time downloading it. The preload will require 3GB download at some point before July 29th, so you will just have to make sure you have the storage space if you plan to upgrade.

If you are planning to upgrade this guide will show you the quick and easy process for reserving it and additionally explain how to get the Get Windows 10 notification if it isn’t showing up for you, how to get rid of it if you don’t want it, or how to cancel your reservation.
 #94565  by Romany Rambler
 Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:47 am
I am running a Win 8.1 HP laptop with Classic Shell making the computer look like a Win7 machine. The Win10 logo does not appear in the tray in the lower right of the screen. Is Classic Shell preventing the Win logo appearing?

All the right update have been installed.

Any Help

Robin
 #94567  by Neddy
 Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:07 pm
Robin, I too am running a Win 8.1 laptop with Classic Shell.
The new Win10 logo does appear in the tray in the lower right of my screen, just as it should.
I haven't been brave enough to click on it yet, but Win 10 has to be an improvement on Win 8.

Here is a link to an article that tells you how to get the upgrade icon if it has not appeared automagically :-
http://techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enab ... skbar.html

Neville.
 #94570  by MG366
 Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Romany Rambler wrote:I am running a Win 8.1 HP laptop with Classic Shell making the computer look like a Win7 machine. The Win10 logo does not appear in the tray in the lower right of the screen. Is Classic Shell preventing the Win logo appearing?

All the right update have been installed.

Any Help

Robin

Robin, I have a 8.1 machine running under Start8, a programme designed to make Win8 not look like its maker intended, but look like Win7, and I had a tray icon appear a couple of days ago. Reserved my upgrade yesterday, and had a welcoming email a short time ago. From a couple of techie sites I have been to, the icon is definitely appearing at random intervals. You should get your offer soon.

Grant

edited once - typo
 #94571  by Teardrop
 Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:21 pm
Thanks for the info Peter. I never noticed that new icon until you mentioned it.

Dene
Pay with Paymate Express