Mobile internet, DVD, TV, SatNav, UHF/VHF etc
 #76492  by Neddy
 Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:30 pm
Garmin's top model GPS really is the best on the market, but it does have limitations and in some ways it takes a step back, in that my old 2006 Garmin StreetPilot offers many features that are no longer available with this new model. For me, the most galling deletion is that it is now incapable of showing multiple Custom icons on the map. The following photo of my old GPS illustrates what I mean. You can see exactly what is available within motoring distance of your current position. This makes route planning or finding the whereabouts of what is available really easy.

By way of contrast, here is a dezl 760 screenshot of the same area at the same 3km zoom level. While multiple Custom POI's are represented, only a generic "blue blob" icon can be shown. Tapping on any individual blob will make its real icon appear, along with its name, and any further information is revealed when the Name button is clicked, but no overview of the general situation is possible.

Garmin have come under a lot of criticism for this loss of basic functionality but state that "this is a GPS, not a chart-plotter". They are putting a lot of effort into promoting the use of their BaseCamp product for trip planning and have made interfacing this with all their GPS models increasingly effective. BaseCamp is free for anyone to download and use and provides excellent trip planning functionality on a Laptop or PC. Here is a screenshot, again at the same 3km zoom level. You can see how well all the POI data is presented. Again, clicking on any Custom icon will reveal its actual identity and key information, while a double click will reveal any further info that is available. Dumpstations, Low Cost Parking, Campgrounds, Free Sites, Clubs, Laundries, PoPs, LPG filling stations... all are clearly identified.

http://s27.postimg.cc/nmy9fif4z/BC_Map004.jpg

Another dezl 760 quirk is the AV/in socket provided for connecting a backup camera. Any GPS with one of these can normally be fitted with any generic "reversing" camera. There are literally scores of these cameras available, and all of them, unsurprisingly, provide the reversed "mirror image" normally required of backing cameras. Now, plug any one of these into an old 7" Garmin and you get a "mirror image" perfect for backing. Plug the same camera into their new 7" GPS and you get...... a normal image, totally unsuitable for backing. Their new 7" models appear to incorporate reversing circuitry that cannot be turned off. Normally, the camera provides a reversed "mirror" image, but the new Garmin is reversing that again to render the image unuseable for backing. Why would Garmin make such a needless, counterproductive change? Could it have something to do with the fact that they have just introduced a very expensive wireless backup camera of their own and want to lock out all competing products?
Owners of a 760LMT GPS have, then, 3 options.
(1) Get the official Garmin BC-20 wireless backup camera. (CMOS camera and the most expensive option by far.)
(2) Use a normally front facing (non-mirror) wired camera as a backup camera.
(These tend to be much lower quality than dedicated backup cameras.)
(3) Track down a wired backup camera that is mirror/non mirror switchable.
(This would be my preference. CCD camera. Infrared night lighting.)

I find it disappointing that new Garmin models no longer provide what to me is a basic GPS function. Maybe they will remedy this in future software updates. At least they do enable users to enter and use Custom POI's though - you can't even do that on the latest Tomtom gear! How can technology companies get so out of touch with their users?

In summary, this is an excellent GPS with many new features but unfortunately it drops some valued old features. This deficit can be remedied to a significant extent by using it in conjunction with PC based Garmin BaseCamp.

Neville.
 #76522  by idex
 Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:36 am
That's a really great product evaluation Neddy. How lucky we all are to have you on board here.
 #76992  by WoodyZ
 Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 am
The question was asked elsewhere as to whether the truck specific information was available in New Zealand (no it currently is not) so I took note when my unit was recently in Victoria. Even there it seems that only significant main highways have the truck specific data available, where we travelled anyway. These highways are where in my view you would have the least need for such information as those roads are highly unlikely to have truck restricting problems on them.
 #77016  by Neddy
 Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:00 pm
WoodyZ wrote:The question was asked elsewhere as to whether the truck specific information was available in New Zealand.
No, it currently is Not.
Woody, I thought the same, but this is simply not so.
The Garmin 760 certainly DOES provide heavy vehicle information on NZ roads.

As with the Australia mapset, not all roads have been officially assessed for their accessibility, but whenever you are on an unassessed road, this is made clearly evident by an onscreen icon being shown. If you drive off an assessed road onto an unassessed road, an audible warning is generated as well as on-screen notification. Having said that, you can see from the following screenshots that many warnings do appear on roads that are flagged as being of unknown accessibility. Another quirk is that the unit appears to be ignorant of the fact that the highway speed limit for heavy vehicles is 90kph, not 100kph. While there are many small unassessed roads that do not generate warnings, there are plenty that do - as you can see from many of the following screenshots.

First off, your vehicle's Height, Width, Length, Axle loading etc must have been entered into the GPS.
Then you have to make sure you select the right vehicle when the GPS is turned on.

The GPS presents information differently depending on whether you have set your destination and are following prompts, or are simply mooching along just following your progress on the GPS.
Say your vehicle is 4 meters high. Once you are en route to your destination and being guided by the GPS, you will not get any warnings of a 3.5 meter high bridge ahead - you will simply not be routed that way. Similarly, you will not get any "Low Bridge" warnings of a 4.1 meter bridge ahead. You would simply be routed under it without any comment. If I make my vehicle "too big for the Auckland Harbour Bridge"(!) the GPS simply routes me around it via the Upper Harbour Drive, without any warnings or comment. If it is impossible to get to your chosen destination within the parameters you have set, a list of "problems" appears and as per this screen, you are offered the choice of pushing on regardless or quitting.:-
http://s26.postimg.cc/6brtb0hdl/936955.png

Should you choose to push on, you will get multiple advance warnings, both audible and visual, of any restrictions ahead that exceed your preset parameters. :-

You get early warning of any narrow roads or width restrictions that are coming up. You can see that these warnings are generated even though the vehicle may be on an unassessed road at the time. :-

Steep Hill Warning on an Assessed road.

Tight corner on an unassessed road.

Split Screen. At intersections, this shows the map as well as a photoview.
Note how a tight corner coming up is flagged, even though it is not on an "assessed" road.

You get early advance notice of any Speed Limit reductions or changes that are coming up.
These are really useful when driving a big, heavy vehicle.

All in all, I'm sure that owners of any largish RV would find the warnings generated by this model GPS to be very useful indeed.
It evens warns of overhanging branches - not that I have been able to find any specific examples of this!
 #77019  by WoodyZ
 Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:28 pm
I didn't make myself clear enough Neville as I get those "sharp curve", "road narrows" "speed limit change" etc warnings too which are very helpful no matter what vehicle you are driving but they appear regardless of the fact that the "Truck accessibility unknown" message or icon is showing. I haven't had my unit near Auckland so maybe there are known accessibility parameters now available in that area but I have not seen them.

Travelling between Melbourne and Geelong and all along the Great Ocean Road and North into the Grampians (mostly significant roads), the "Truck accessibility unknown" warning was always there but went away on the Great Western Highway between Adelaide and Melbourne, or the bits of it that we travelled on anyway.

As I said, the warnings that are generated are very helpful for a large rig so I am going to seriously miss it in our Ford Ranger where there is insufficient available real estate in the window area for a unit that size so eventually I will most likely replace the 5 inch unit I use in there now with the 5 inch little brother of the 760.
 #77022  by scubadoo
 Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:30 pm
Heads-up

gps-newzealand.com = navi-technology.com = philippines-gps.com = gps-rsa.com etc. = NAVI TECHNOLOGY GROUP

NZ address:
Plaza Level
41 Shortland Street
Auckland, 1010

A visit would be worthwhile. :mrgreen:

Google for reviews first. ;) :!:
 #78315  by Neddy
 Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am
scubadoo wrote:Heads-up. A visit would be worthwhile.
It sure would. What a strange outfit! Very fancy hat but no knickers. Phone 09-8010-302.
MG366 wrote:Their current special pricing (of the 5" Dezi 560) is sharp - $369...
http://gps-newzealand.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=373
Marketing at its flashiest but it appears that there is nobody there to talk to!
In any case, $369 for a 5" Garmin is not sharp at all when just $20 more could get you the latest 7" Garmin 760LMT. Here's how :-
Buy at any Dick Smith's in Australia for A$379. Being over A$300, this purchase qualifies for a tax rebate of A$45 at the Airport.
Being then under a total cost of NZ$400 (NZ$389!) it will not be liable for any GST here. Total cost NZ$389.

I have discovered some new dezl 760LMT features and quirks. The GPS functions available depend on the vehicle profile you select.
If you select "Car", you can't get the truck based warnings such as sharp corner, low bridge, steep hill, overhanging branch etc. but you do get 3 options from which to select your route, all presented on a comparative plot. Nice. Select the one you want and Go.
Yellow = Shortest Distance, Blue = Shortest Time, Magenta = Least Fuel.

If you use a Truck or RV profile, you no longer get the "Least Fuel" option. You are presented with 2 options from which to select your route. First is BLUE, using "approved" roads whenever possible. Second is YELLOW, the Shorter Distance. "Knowing" you are in an RV, the 760 tries very hard to ensure that you only use roads that have been "assessed" as suitable for larger vehicles. Many quite suitable roads have not been assessed and are therefore avoided, leading to perfectly good, obvious choices being ignored. Image
Here we have the best, shortest route (The Avenue) being avoided simply because it is unassessed.

Go for Yellow every time. Usually it is both the shorter distance AND the shorter Time.
Pay with Paymate Express