#155701  by 96coaster
 Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:40 pm
Curious to know how many people have had their motor homes weighed and what the weight was (probably applies more to European styles) . I had ours (Dethleffs Trend 7017) weighed the other day (2 people, full fuel, 60 ltrs water, 44 kg of bikes on rack, spare wheel - 33kg (close to back axle as possible ) food, clothes and all the other junk you tend to carry).

Normally travel with 30 -40 liters of water, but if heading to places were the supply of water is unknown, tend to carry about 80 liters.

Weight was:

Front axle - 1630 kg (320 kg under 1950 kg limit)
Total Weight - 3790 kg (160 kg under 3950 kg limit)
Rear axle - 2130 ( 130kg over 2000 kg limit :o :o )

I realise there is a 30 kg imbalance between total and axle weights (weigh bridge was at local transfer station so may be a bit inaccurate).

Being over on rear axle was a bit of a surprise (thought it would be close) , but suspect it is the considerable rear overhang behind rear axle and bikes dangling in mid air.

So had a big clean out and jettisoned anything I hadn't used in a year and moved tins of baked beans etc into forward lockers.

From what I have seen on our travels , I suspect that there is a lot of similar motor homes that are probably over weight.

Oh to have the old Coaster back were it didn't matter if I loaded another tonne on board. :Y
Cheers
 #155715  by Derb
 Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:11 am
It is a myth that weighbridges are not particularly accurate. Local dump station or Police weighbridge. They are legally obliged to be tested once per year by a certified provider. Our 30 tonne weighbridge at the grain company I previously worked at was tested corner to corner, side to side and end to end and accurate to within 10 kgs. If it says you are overweight - you are overweight! Get over it.
 #155717  by vansvilla
 Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:31 am
And of course everytime you go for your COF check the vehicle is weighed. Probably not in normal travel mode but would be a useful guide.
 #155718  by Derb
 Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 am
Many of these European/UK motorhomes are like a damn big see-saw with such huge rear overhang. Stick two bikes on the back and the front goes up (understandably) so "that" weight has to go somewhere - like the rear axle. One way to offset this (if possible) is to move batteries or water tanks further forward. Store your grog further forward. Move your solar panels forward. Get Mum to swing her seat around so she is facing backwards - centre of mass being shifted forward :D . Unfortunately many of the modern campers/motorhomes have very little wiggle-room for payload.
Pay with Paymate Express