#156606  by Nut17
 Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:18 pm
It may well be cheaper to go to a tow bar manufacturer and have a custom one made to suit. I had one made by Campbell Brothers in Hastings a few years ago for around $100.00.

https://www.campbellbros.co.nz/
 #156624  by mattn
 Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 am
What about One of these adjustable ones, and getting a second hi-rise ball so you just swap the entire receiver assemblyif you want to adjust height.

I suspect you won't actually need to be adjusting heights much, if at all.

Supercheap have the high rise for $72.
 #156680  by David McIntyre
 Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:35 pm
I looked at that tongue, as I was in at Trailcom (Trojan) in Wiri. It doesn't drop enough.
As soon as the adjustable one arrives I'll post a pic with tape measure so you can see what I've come up with.
We will have three different height 2" tongues between our two vehicles so will have plenty of combinations of hitches to use.
 #156760  by Waymad
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:12 am
I've only ever bought the one 2" tow hitch - under $100. Made to order, fixed height, from Tow-Right IIRC. If you are confident about the required dimensions, see what a regular tow-bar maker can produce. YMMV - Baby Bailey is a light 'van, so I did not need to concern myself with weight specifications....
 #156762  by David McIntyre
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:55 pm
OK, so tow bar is set up, except for the hi rise ball, as the only ones that I can find at this stage are for a 75mm - 3in tongue.
The Trojan and Clone adjustable tongues are 2.5" - 63mm wide, so plate will be too sloppy.

Just looking to see if anyone stocks tow ball with 7/8 shaft and 2.5" tongue groove.
And if so - all will be done.
 #156764  by mattn
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:13 pm
One option is to head to a local engineering shop and get some bars welded to the tongue to act as the locking plate.
Some people have welded the hi-rise ball to the tongue, although it is not recommended due to the risk of weakening the ball.
 #156765  by David McIntyre
 Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:44 pm
Yes - that's what I'm going to have to do.

I thought tack weld 1/4" bar onto both sides of the locking plate or add 1/4 to each side of tongue.

I think I'll do the locking plate as it's not structural (as in weight carrying) only twist stress if the ball moves.

Do you recommend Loctite on the ball thread as well, to stop any undoing. or is that overkill?
Pay with Paymate Express