Well FlyingKiwiGirl, you certainly told the story exactly as we witnessed, although we were over inside the building where the fashion parade was. We could hear all the banging and crashing of the mighty gales and horizontal rain/sleet outside and knew all wasn't well when we saw this panicking bloke in a high viz coat running around like a headless chook, rounding up the fashion parade organisers for a serious pow wow amidst goings on. Next he almost snatched the mic from the compere's hand and told everybody that because of the severe storm outside, the event was now cancelled and we all had to get out now and head for the nearest exit for safety reasons. He looked like he was really crapping himself.
Luckily, I had my first dozen oysters for morning tea, but wasn't able to get back for seconds for afternoon tea. Some tell us that, after the storm abated a little, they reopened the event after moving what was left of the festival into the building where the fashion show was and the food was all going cheap to assist the stall holders to get rid of it. Bugger! By then we were well blown to the south, back to the Bluff Camp where we are parked up, along with many other movanners. We then had an all afternoon happy hour in the camp kitchen, wondering whether it is going to be safe to move on tomorrow with more bad weather forecast.
We didn't see you guys and your fifth wheeler around town, so I can only guess that you were down on the wharf road enjoying the good old buffeting along with the other RV's that were parked there.
So, we will wait until tomorrow to see whether the weather, (I like that), is what they say it is going to be before we decide when and where we go next.
WELCOME TO THE DEEP SOUTH!
Mark and Irene
NZMCA No. 6244. Traillite Motorhome on Mercedes Sprinter 518 CDI.