#84347  by kiwisonja
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 am
I would love to have your favourite tried and tested baking recipes cooked in your motorhome gas oven please, giving gas mark settings and how high or low your bake in the oven, and if it needs to be turned around during the cooking time. You could post them on this forum or email them to me. I have an idea to make up a collection to share with other motorhomers, who like me are having problems in getting good results :Y
 #84354  by Roamnz
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:47 pm
 #84356  by RandB
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:39 pm
I cook and bake nearly every day in my motorhome oven - everything from Sourdough Bread (made every 3-4 days), to roasts,to pies, to biscuits and cakes, to muffins...in fact everything that you would do in a "normal" oven.

It takes a little while to get used to baking with gas, mostly sorting out the variable temps in the oven from shelf to shelf. The best thing to do is to invest in a good oven thermometer (around $10), and a large square tile, like a bathroom tile ($5) Place in the oven on the rack and I bake most things on this as it retains the heat and disperses the heat rather like a pizza stone which ensures things are baked on the base. Some things need turning around half way through cooking, just keep an eye on things as they cook. I also invested in an extra oven rack, obtained from Burnsco if I remember correctly) so when baking biscuits I can have two trays in the oven at once, then swap them around part way through the cooking.

I have written occasionally about cooking on our blog www.brvannini.wordpress.com There's a category for cooking and food in the caegories list on the right hand side of the blog.

Let me know if I can help any further,

Cheers
Bernice
PS. I was a chef for my sins, before seeing the light and hitting the road full time!!!
 #84357  by idex
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:49 pm
Bernice, you must let us all know where you are so we can call and visit you at morning and afternoon tea times!
 #84359  by mattn
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:55 pm
Don;t they have signs warning people not to feed the wildlife? :D
 #84365  by Harper
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:31 pm
Can I add to RandB's post that IMO the tile should ideally be unglazed. I manage (with the help of an unglazed tile) to do some reasonable baking in my Coleman Folding Oven
Alan
 #84433  by kathyn
 Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:09 pm
RandB wrote:I cook and bake nearly every day in my motorhome oven - everything from Sourdough Bread (made every 3-4 days)
Hi Bernice

I have been thinking about trying sourdough in the van, but had thought that with limited space and storage that I would leave it until we "retire" to a real house. But it appears you are doing it in your van. Yippee. Would be much appreciated it you could share your recipe, especially things like how often you feed your starter, how long you prove, etc. I have been reading up on sourdough and it seems there are quite a few different methods. As you are in a van as well it would be great to find out your method. Also if you could recommend what to do about getting starter - I see there are dry or fresh starters available on TradeMe, or am I better off making my own starter from unbleached flour and going through all the feeding, etc.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Kathy N

PS Also thanks for the hint about the tile - heading off to the tile shop next week to see if I can get one from them, nothing suitable at local Mitre 10 or Bunnings.
Pay with Paymate Express