#48830  by Roamnz
 Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm
BUTTER CHICKEN - for those who need to use or enjoy low fat recipes, try this version, it is so easy that even blokes who say " But I can't cook," could prepare this. :roll: If boiling rice is beyond you, someone else could do that for you prior to you cooking the chicken, or cheat and use the precooked version :D
Serves 3 to 4

800gms skinned and boned chicken thighs or breast
1 medium diced onion
1 tsp crushed ginger - jar type fine
2 tsp crushed garlic- jar type fine)

1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp dried coriander
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp chilli powder
2 tsp chicken stock powder

4 tablespoons ‘No Added Salt’ tomato paste
1 tablespoon cornflower
1 x 375ml tin of ‘Light’ evaporated milk.

Cut chicken into bite size pieces, mix the chicken in with the onion-garlic-ginger

In a frypan or wok sauté in batches in small amount of bran oil or similar, until nearly cooked then place all the browned but partially cooked chicken back into the frypan or wok.

Mix all the dry ingredients except cornflour, together and sprinkle over the chicken while stirring and then cook this for one minute.

Add the tomato paste and fold through, simmer this mixture for a few minutes.

Combine the cornflower and a little of the evaporated milk in a bowl and whisk well to get rid of any lumps then add the remainder of the milk. Pour the mixture into the chicken while on the heat, then stir continuously till sauce boils and thickens. If too thick add a little waterand stir.

Serve with Basmati rice cooked as per packet instructions. While not as intense as the rich cream laden normal butter chicken recipes this is rather moreish.

Tips for blokes who say they can't cook, even you could try this recipe

Prior to cooking prepare and mix as follows in four bowls
bowl one - Dice chicken and place in bowl, wash ya hands!
bowl two - mix the onion/garlic/ginger
bowl three - mix the cinnamon/turmeric/coriander/paprika/cumin/chilli and chicken stock powder - bowl four - the cornflower & evaporated milk
Open the tomato paste ready to use
Easy as and of course because this is low fat you can then have apple crumble and ice cream for dessert? ;)
 #48831  by RayVon
 Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:33 pm
Looks like dinner tonight is sorted - thanks! Now for some low fat apple crumble - sounds like an oxymoron to me! :lol:
 #48835  by Neddy
 Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 pm
Roamnz wrote:Blokes who say they can't cook, even you could try this recipe.
Prepare and mix as follows in four bowls....
Still no good I'm afraid Smillie - I can't find four bowls.
 #48877  by Roamnz
 Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:45 am
Rudy behave, says she who is about to make caramel slice some time today by request from one not overweight husband! :-|
 #48879  by petercw
 Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 am
Jeni says thx, she will give it ago but has to change some things as she is "gluten free" & potato free & soda free, so the cornflour goes but it does not look to bad otherwise.
What about coconut milk instead of evaporated milk?
cheers
Peter & Jeni
Pay with Paymate Express