#5310  by Roamnz
 Sat May 09, 2009 9:18 pm
With the colder weather here now, here is a good recipe for Mulled Wine, great around the camp fire or BBQ on a chilly night.

1/2 cup Sugar
1 1/2 cups Water
Grated rind of 1/2 Lemon
6 whole Cloves
1 Cinnamon stick about 4 cm
1 bottle your favourite red wine
3/4 cup Brandy
Freshly grated Nutmeg

Put first 5 ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil slowly stirring gently until sugar desolves.
Reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 mins, then strain.
Stir in the wine and brandy then gently reheat, but do not boil, pour into heated mugs, serve topped with a sprinkling of Nutmeg.
:roll: :roll: Remember to takes your boots off before you fall into a deep sleep after this "tonic" :) ;)
 #5316  by idex
 Sat May 09, 2009 11:30 pm
Sounds like it might be a lot more fun than fitting a heater?
 #5492  by Roamnz
 Wed May 13, 2009 5:01 pm
Well what do they say along the lines of "it's never too late to teach an old dog a new trick!"

Last night we were inroduced to PRENZIL brand Mulled Wine. While it is not as potent as the homemade recipe rpinted above it certainly is very pleasant to sip on a cold winters night.

You can find it in the red wine section at New World Supermarket ( probably other Supermarkets, as well as Prenzil do fairly good marketing) around $18, tall browny coloured bottle, best part is to make up, you mix 1/3rd Prenzil mixture to 2/3rds hot water, so it goes along way. Good served in the large glass cups with handles similar to those used for Irish Coffee. We will be carrying some Prenzils on board from now on, much easier than mixing your own and less potent but just as much fun and warms the cockles of ya heart on a cold night.
 #5507  by jimandsue
 Wed May 13, 2009 8:00 pm
Reading on your other post your current location I bet that PRENZIL is tasting pretty good around know. Must try it sometime - I don't think I'll wait for snow in Auckland though. :D
 #5508  by Roamnz
 Wed May 13, 2009 8:11 pm
Yes Jim the snow is down to low levels around Kingston, but it is not as cold tonight as it was last night. We have booked to do the Doubtful Sound overnight trip on Friday night, I just hope the TV One weather forecasters have got it wrong and we get better weather than what they predict
 #5510  by Gay'zin
 Wed May 13, 2009 8:26 pm
Ha ha ha TV1 weather is written by Aucklanders they always get it wrong (just make sure you have your hip flask handy lol)
rebecca
 #5550  by Gay'zin
 Thu May 14, 2009 4:52 pm
We went to the "New Farm" for a visit today and the weather was great "maybe it is only southland weather that is .... well..... A little colder than the rest of NZ ;)
Rebecca
 #5761  by Holistic Palace
 Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 pm
Tried the mulled wine tonight & last night as well.
Cheers mate
Very nice on this cold winters night, especially since the outside surrounding mountains have snow on them.

Cheers
Rudy
Pay with Paymate Express