Discussions about the risks of losing the right to freedom camp and how to counter these.
 #121760  by Zukiwi
 Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm
Not prohibited but, as shown in your first link, restricted to CSC, 4 nights only.

Cheers
John
 #121765  by Expander
 Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:49 pm
My mistake, they are saying there are two areas very close to one another, one CSC, the other tent sites. :TU
 #121780  by Zukiwi
 Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:17 am
That's right, but it does take a bit of figuring out until you read the site info very carefully and look at the fairly uninformative map on the FC site. ;)

Cheers
John
 #121864  by Flyfish
 Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:45 am
Just so frustrating, sent an email to Doc re: closing of the Stag Pool Carpark on the Tongariro River Turangi which I have used for a long time when fishing. Doc are just turning people away IMO and not thinking through these closures and a large revenue stream, not to mention driving license sales... I have NEVER encountered the issues they state below ever over many, many trips...

Their reply below, as usual, tourist campers ruining it for everyone else it appears, Turangi is woefully inadequately supported for freedom camping (anglers) like me...

"Hi Andrew

Thank you for your email expressing concern regarding the recent closure of the Stag Pools Carpark to freedom camping.

This site was closed due to the large number of complaints received by the public concerning the rubbish and human waste left behind by campers. Many of these complaints came from anglers and our monitoring of the site showed that the majority of campers were not anglers.

Sincerely

Dave Lumley
Operations Manager Central Plateau"
 #121888  by Zukiwi
 Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:49 pm
Given that the site was restricted to CSC only, you might think that DOC's monitoring would be the ideal opportunity for them to remove (or ticket) those presumably non-CSC vehicles which were leaving the human waste behind? However, while the waste and complaints issues were mentioned in DOC's site analysis in the review that lead to this prohibition (and they should be readily addressed as above), the main reason advanced was that there was significant conflict with day users (angler access site). Interesting that this wasn't mentioned in the response to you. Have to wonder if there is another agenda here?

Cheers
John
 #122227  by Flyfish
 Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:28 am
Thanks for the reply John, agree, a bit of a fob off to be honest. I guess it's an issue NZ wide how to police non self-contained vehicles, nobody has the resources, yet most are too short sighted to see it also as a revenue stream for ticketing those who obviously flout the rules. That Stag pool carpark was always super-clean, not a hint of toilet paper in the bushes anywhere. It does not help when you have hotels and motels posting the likes of the following on public forums... must make a note NOT to stay at the Tongariro River Motel again!...

This direct from Tongariro River Motel...

"We are fed up with all freedom campers.
Everywhere they abuse the rules. i.e. Along the SH1 lake edge car parks and picnic areas and along the Tongariro River anglers car parks they are there every night pooing in the nearby bush.
They are never policed and there are no patrols to clean up after them. They are destroying so many precious family picnic places with their rubbish.
Taupo Council needs to appoint someone like ‘Didymo Dave’ Cade to police all these areas every day to move them on.
So we have a suggestion for you to promote.
Everywhere throughout NZ are RSA’s. They have ample parking and toilets and showers and dining facilities and bar and pool rooms etc. absolutely ideal for tourists’ camper vans. Most RSA’s are well located in towns close to other facilities and are desperate for additional members and funds and would welcome them.
So why don’t all these camper vans join the RSA? They are too miserable!.
Ban them all from Turangi and Taupo!"

http://www.tongarirorivermotel.co.nz/freedom-campers/

AND some very interesting reading below...

http://www.tongarirorivermotel.co.nz/fr ... rangi-cbd/
Pay with Paymate Express