Forum rules: Each member may record the build progress on their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these threads are entertaining and snappy. You are welcome to include a few pics.
 #96332  by rollerman
 Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:09 pm
Greetings everyone,
Having now had "Esmerelda" certified and self contained, we soon discovered that ,at 6 metres long, she is just a tad too small for two adults and 3 dogs. Ok for the weekend and the occasional 4 day weekend but not really suitable for a long term tour, so we have just purchased a 10.2 metre Merceds-Benz 0303 Bus.
It has a couple of minor issues for a COF but as we plan to spend 12-18 months on fitting her out as a motorhome suitable for long term touring, the COF is a minor issue.

My question is: does anyone on the forums have any experience with these vehicles?
I drove it back from Christchurch and it travelled well except for the gearbox being "round the wrong way" 1st gear to the right and back, reverse all the way to the left and down.

Any help, suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Happy movanning all.
Doug & Janette.
 #96337  by BUSRSQ
 Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:37 am
I have a heap of experience with these, We use to own one ours was a Auto though but I did pretty much everything to it, ( it as sold on as a house bus to someone in Marton)
 #96517  by rollerman
 Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:11 pm
Hi BUSRSQ,
Very interesting that your old bus has come to Marton as that is where I live also.
I did try to send you a PM but maybe it didn't reach you.
I would really like to find out more about your experiences with the 0303 but don't know that this forum is the right place to ask a load of questions.
Perhaps you could PM me ?

many thanks,
Doug & Janette.
 #96523  by BUSRSQ
 Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:17 pm
I think this forum is exactly the right place to ask questions
then in the future the answers may help someone else
Ask away
 #96581  by rollerman
 Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:10 pm
Immediate questions are:
What sort of fuel economy can we expect?
Where is the best place for spare parts and are they easily accessible?
Would you or any-one else know where I can get a workshop manual or spare parts manual for these buses? I am aware that Auckland Regional Authority had several of these on their bus fleet.
What are all the buttons and switches on the dashboard for???
Any knowledge orf where I might find another ignition key for it, given the key also turns the headlights on/off.

Many thanks in advance,
Doug & Janette.
 #96590  by cherokee94nz
 Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:20 pm
Fuel economy is bad to very bad depending on what motor if fitted, and how it is geared. If you can get 4 km to the litre that is very good.
 #96613  by david 60
 Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:03 pm
ignition keys can be made to fit your barrel at locksmiths. not all locksmiths do heavy vehicles but will put you on to one who does
 #96648  by BUSRSQ
 Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:51 am
Buttons will require pressing :) they will be marked but they will turn lights( inside) on and off, open door/s ( depending on length) turn destination signs lights on and off,
Fuel economy of the V6 one we had was at best bad and at worse maybe a km/l
Parts from Canterbury truck and bus parts or Mercedes Benz
I had a workshop manual but it went with the bus ( which may still be in Marton somewhere ) parts manual I have no Idea you could try ARA
The ignition keys are Generic to Mercedes Benz Trucks and Buses of that era so should be easy to source ( they all ran the same ignition/light key) I do have one but will have to try and see what they are worth
The guy in Marton who brought it has something to do with the church ( I think maybe jehovah ) as I seen it in Turangi where he was helping to build a church
Pay with Paymate Express