Forum rules: Each member may record the build progress on their own thread. You may comment on others' threads but do not take them over with your own stories. Please try to ensure these threads are entertaining and snappy. You are welcome to include a few pics.
 #112611  by maccasparks
 Tue May 10, 2016 7:59 pm
Cheers John - I am aware of that TPS v polystyrene situation . Actually noticed a bit in the old wiring looking a bit different where it was in direct contact - just seemed a bit harder than normal .Don't think it was going to do much else so nothing really to worry about in existing vans (just my opinion)
I am using polystyrene for insulation however I will use a barrier to keep the TPS cabling away.
 #114130  by maccasparks
 Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:30 pm
Been chipping away - insulated wall and made frame for sink and kitchen unit with space for 100AH battery in each putting weight centre of axle on each side.
Also fitted 2x 150watt solar modules to roof , connected with 4m of 2 core 4mm2 auto cable.
Interior lining caravan ply is ordered and start that next week

#114628  by mattn
 Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:55 pm
Looking good....

When you say 4mm2 auto cable, is that 4mm2 of copper? Reason I ask is auto industry are real sharks when it comes to cable sizes - 'auto cable' usually refers to the total size including the insulation and I would hate to see you using 4mm2 'auto' which is often less than 1mm2 of the copper stuff by mistake.
 #114639  by maccasparks
 Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:39 pm
Cheers.
Getting body off chassis was easier than getting it back on!
Its actually not held on by much at all - about 5 x 1/4" gutter bolts down each side , then the rivets holding the curved bottom panels front and back. I jacked it up held the body up on axle stands then lowered the chassis from it. I have since learned a better technique is to support the body with props onto top of window frame . Also I screwed a couple of braces across the bottom to hold its shape. They become quite flimsy with no floor.
Last edited by maccasparks on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #114640  by maccasparks
 Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 pm
Thanks !
Solar module cable is 4mm2 copper - I'm old school and only deal with cross sectional area sizes.
Looks like battery/ controller cables will be 25mm2 . I have a battery next to each mudguard right over the axle.
 #115919  by maccasparks
 Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:31 pm
3mm Caravan ply installed on walls - ceiling next.
Also lined ceiling and mudguards with a stick-on product called Insulate Mat . It is 3mm thick insulation . Will add another 30mm of polystyrene to ceiling before ply.
Gluing everything , no rivets !

Pay with Paymate Express