#140748  by rawill
 Sat May 19, 2018 12:01 pm
maccasparks wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:30 am
If your not keen to drill holes in the roof you can use Bostik Industrial Adhesive Sealant to glue on some ali angle then screw panels to that. Its very good stuff
If it is the urethane I have used, if you glue wood together, then try to rip the joint apart the wood will stick to the glue, and the wood will break before glue comes apart.
 #140817  by Kiwicruzes
 Sun May 20, 2018 5:08 pm
Jennius wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:16 am
Hi Rewi
Thanks. One question. Is your VSR dual sensing? I read elsewhere (Neddy) had some 5 amps of charge being wasted on his sprinter's starter battery when voltage got to 13.7v. I was thinking of swapping to normal VSR if I connect directly to batteries via another another solar controller. Maybe use a votronic solar controller which could be used to provide a small charge to starting battery.
Cheers Wayne
Wayne
Mine is dual sensing,I was told that while driving the alternator will charge the Cabin battery and starter battery first and once charged will start charging the house batterys.I think when on solar it does the reverse.
Rewi
 #140821  by Neddy
 Sun May 20, 2018 5:39 pm
That is a commonly held misconception.
The Starter and House batteries are linked in parallel by the VSR when the Starter battery voltage rises to 13.2 volts (13.7v in some models). This point is usually reached just a few seconds after the engine starts - and long before the Starter battery is anywhere near fully charged.

Neville.
 #140824  by NeilV
 Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm
So I have a 100A switch my AGM house 24v to parallel my 24v starters. It’s basically a manual VSR, so I was quite surprised to see my starter batteries have a huge buildup of ‘blue’ gunk on the positive terminal... presumably from being overcharged by the Solar float voltage being 27.4?

What is the right (24v) ‘float’ for regular flooded batteries?
 #140825  by Neddy
 Sun May 20, 2018 6:25 pm
Whatever voltage is specified by the battery manufacturer.
With flooded lead/acid batteries this is commonly around 26.8 volts.
 #172104  by Andylee770
 Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:26 pm
Hi
I’ve just brought a 2005 kea Endeavour just trying to sus out the wiring to the solar and how it charges the battery’s . I’m new to this but can’t work out .
Does it have a battery charger and would like to put on those solar controller panels .
Thanks
 #172119  by Nut17
 Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 am
Andy, your Endeavor should have a mains battery charger that will charge both starting and house batteries when you have the external mains cable plugged into a 230 volt supply. From memory, the only factory fitted solar would be a 60 watt self adhesive flexible panel with a very limited output.
Where are you based? You may well benefit from someone with some knowledge going over your rig and lay out some options.
 #172670  by chaps_nz
 Sun May 09, 2021 3:30 pm
rawill wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am
It does seem a pity to remove your existing panels, but if that is the only option I guess that is the way it is.
Can you get a panel on the cab?
We need more photos!

I would suggest asking Kea where they put the controller, surely it has to be there somewhere, even if well hidden. However if you have small panels it probably will not have the capacity you need anyway, and you will be replacing it.

Lots of choice these days, but on controllers I think bigger is better re amp capacity, you just never know when you will add more.

But the other opinion which Neddy is really keen on is more than one controller, ideally one controller per panel, and it does make some sense re creating a "failsafe system".
Hi I located my Morning Star Controler in behind the Control panel on my Endeavour today.
Pay with Paymate Express